Zion NP to Moab, UT., Arches & Canyonlands Nat'l Parks, Castle Rock

Moab Travel Blog

Moab RV Park

Had a great time in Zion and Bryce and then moved over to Moab, UT. Stayed in a nice commercial Park right behind the fairgrounds in Moab. This was a run of about 315 miles and a word of warning, get fuel every time you get a chance. I did not and wish I had fueled up more often. Along I 70 there are long stretches between fuel stops.

Moab in July was one hot place with every day in the 100's. Thanks to low humidity, it was not too bad. Moab sits close to a couple of the most scenic National Parks I have seen so far. It sits right on the Colorado River and as a result has many tour and activity vendors offering a wide assortment of things to do. River rides, ATV, 4 x 4 rides bike trips and more are all over town.

Arches NP
selecting what to do and see was fun.

My first adventure was to visit Arches National Park. What a beautiful place with an 18 mile ride deep into the park. Everywhere along the road were photo opportunities of arches with many short hikes that let you get up close for pictures. I took several of these hikes and was glad I had packed water as it sure was hot. The beauty of the Southwest is unbelievable. It was very clear why so many of the western movies of the 40's and 50's chose the Moab area as the location for their filming. There was a museum on the Colorado River that featured many of the films shot in the area.

Another ride I took was a loop drive north of Moab that clinbed high into the mountains. There was snow still visable even with the 100 plus temperatures.

Arches NP
On this trip I saw Castle Rock which was featured in a couple of Chevrolet commercials. they flew a car up to the top and on one filming, the model and filming crew was stuck overnight due to the high winds that day.

Moab was the center of uranium mining in the 40's, 50's and 60's with some of the best uranium deposits in the world. It resulted in making Moab a boom town. All of the mines are now closed because better deposits were found on other parts of the world primarily Africa. It's interesting as I have seen this with copper mines, gold and silver as well. Better deposits that can be mined less expensively elsewhere. A good museum is in Moab which gives you a good feel as to what it was like in the area during the boom days.

Close to Arches NP is one of the most beautiful parks in the country and one of the least appreciated.

Canyonlands
Canyonlands National Park is a huge park carved out of the Colorado River bed. Up stream from the Grand Canyon it is not as deep but equally beautiful. The road into the park gives you many places where vistas give you great views of the immense scope if it. Once again, there are hiking trails that lead to many interesting spots. each park is more beautiful than the last, what a country.

Wanting to see more of Canyonlands, I took a jet boat ride 27 miles down the Colorado into the heart of the park. The driver of the boat would stop and let us drift while pointing out interesting features in the canyon. We stopped at one place and he showed us petrified trees and fossils up on the river bank. A few more miles down the river, we stopped and we all took a refreshing swim in the river.

Arches NP
At our lunch stop, we were met by a Ford Expedition and left with him for the long and difficult climb out of the canyon to the top. This leg of the trip took 4 hours and was a 4 x 4 adventure that was not to be missed. We saw dinosaur bones, a stone bridge and at one spot, climbed up a very steep trail at the end of a box canyon. What a great trip, jet boat and a 4 x 4 ride in the canyon. I had considered taking my 4x4 down into the canyon on this road and fortunately, I asked ahead of time and was told not to do it because of my long wheelbase and wide dually fenders. Thank God I took the advice because I would have surely gotten stuck going down somewhere on the tight twisty turns in the box canyon wall.

Loved Moab and will return again as there was so much to see and do there.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 33, Escapee RV Parks: 20, Public RV Parks: 24, National Parks: 37, Ships: 7, Forts: 17

Expenses: 27 months traveling with an average of $ 1855 / month

X_Drive says:
Even Microsoft's Street & Trips software didn't show the gas stations through much of the southwest so we filled up often, even though we got 48 mpg. Always better safe than sorry.
You sure got some great pictures in Arches and Canyonlands!
Posted on: Aug 29, 2006
Stone Bridge
Stone Bridge Canyonlands NP
We drove up this road.
Canyonlands
We drove up this road. Canyonlands
Moab