Westminster, CO to Russell, KS, Post Rock Country

Russell Travel Blog

Oil Patch

The ride from the Denver area to Russell, KS. took me quickly away from the mountains and into the great plains. Talk about flat, miles and miles of totally flat land with very few trees to break it up. Scarce fuel stops and few small towns. I left with a big weather front coming in from the west and it followed me into Kansas. It got very cold and windy as it finally caught up with me in the evening. Glad I have a good satellite TV system as I was able to see my beloved Red Sox win the pennant and the Patriots win another game.

Russell is in a large oil producing area and next to the RV park has a small oil museum that I visited. Not much to see except a lot of old drilling rigs rusting away.  An interesting thing I discovered was that the fence posts here are all stone.

Stone fence posts
Because there is a lack of trees in the area, the early settlers were forced to make the fence posts out of locally quarried chalky limestone. When freshly quarried, the stone is soft and can be sawed, notched and drilled or shaped with hand tools. After prolonged exposure to air, it hardens and becoms weather resistant. The stone was used in the construction of many buildings, homes and yard ornaments in the area. It is bedrock and found near the surface in eight to nine inche thickness. Russell is the childhood home of Bob Dole and Sen. Specter. The main street in town and most of the side streets for one block are all paved in brick and are a bit rough when you drive over them. It is the heart of "Post Rock Country".

Summary: Elk Lodges: 56; Escapee RV Parks: 26; Public RV Parks: 54; National Parks: 69; Ships: 17; Forts: 30.

Expenses: 52 months on the road with an average of $1964 per month.

Flat Kansas