Twin Mountain, NH to Rockland, ME., Bar Harbor, Acadia Nat'l Park, Ft Knox, Owels Head Museum

Rockland Travel Blog

Elk, Rockland ME

This leg took me across New Hampshire and Maine to the coast where I set up at the Elks Lodge in Rockland. A nice Lodge but with limited facilities for Rv parking. They had electric service but no water so I filled my tank and was all set.

had some problems with my truck here and A nice guy from the Lodge hustled me into his car and drove me over to Cecil's garage. Introduced me as a brother Elk and asked him to take care of me. Cecil dropped everything and in no time I was fixed up at what I thought was a reasonable price. One of the benefits of Elk membership.

Took a ride up the beautiful Maine coast to Acadia National Park. Route 1 follows the coast and is a great ride passing through many of the small coastal towns.

Sunset Maine
Bar harbor is a small town just outside of the entrance to the National Park and as a result is quite touristy with the normal amount of tee shirt stores and resturants. Needless I had my maine lobster, (several times). Acadia Nat'l Park is such a beautiful place with miles of roads along the coast with great scenery. I could not resist visiting a fort which was guarding the river approach to Bangor, Maine. Fort Knox has been beautifuly restored. It was constructed in the 1800's. Another highlight was all of the lighthouses that are along the coast. I visited several of them.

Just outside of Rockland where I was staying, I found a great sleeper of a museum. Owls Head Transportation Museum is quite impressive with great displays of old cars, planes and motorcycles. The museum seems to be very well funded based on the high quality of items on display. Some very old cars and planes brought back to showroom condition.

Summary:

Elks Lodges - 15   Escapees - 5   Public RV Parks - 7   Nat'l Parks - 13   Major Ships - 5   Forts - 10

Expenses: 5 months on the road with an average expense of $1800 per month.

susan53_2000 says:
Glad to see you made it to Maine. One of the most beautiful states. I live in the southern part not far from Kennybunkport.
Susan