Tucson, Az to Benson, AZ., Ft Huachuca, Tombstone, Bisbee

Benson Travel Blog

Bisbee

Benson, AZ. • The next stop was at the Escapee Park in Benson. Escapees (SKP) are an organization made up mostly of full time RV’ers like my self. They have over 20 RV parks scattered from Washington State all along the south and north to TN and MO. While camped here I toured Fort Huachuca (waCHOOka) where the army has had a fort since the 1870’s. Today it is the home of the army Information Systems Command and the Army Intelligence Center. They have a couple of museums focused primarily on the history of the Fort during the Indian Wars.

South of the fort is the little Mexican town of Naco where I got brave and drove over the border to see. What a mistake, there was nothing to see or stop for and I got stuck at immigration and had to have my truck X-Rayed which took some time. This must be a big crossing point because the Border Patrol has a large presence here.

Tombstone is near here and I drove through this little town on the way to Bisbee which is a small mining town established thanks to a copper mine close by. This open pit mine is larger than the one in Ajo.  The Mexican border town here is Agua Prieta and I got smart and walked across with no problems on my return. Just a couple of questions and I was through. Not worth the walk, just a rough town trying to survive.

Summary:

Elks Lodges - 2

Escapees Parks - 1