Towanda, PA to Taunton, MA., Scusset Beach, New Bedford, Cape Cod

Taunton Travel Blog

Boston

After a short stay at the Elks Lodge in Towanda, I pushed off for my home territory of Massachusetts. During the ride east, I listened to the the coverage of Hurricane Katrina on my XM radio. What a tragic event. The investment of XM Radio was a good one as the assortment of stations is large and you can always find a station to listen to.

I had planned on making this run a two day trip but as I got closer, I decided to continue and made it to my desination at the Elks Lodge in Taunton before dark. Have done this before and must slow down. The long hauls are no fun.

Having been born, educated and worked in the area for over half of my life, I had a lot to revisit and see. Took a nice train ride into Boston which was great as the city is still all dug up with the construction of the "Big Dig" continuing.

Boston
I don't think it will ever be completed nor ever paid for. Surely not in this generation.  Had a wonderful lunch at Durgan Park which is a landmark and has been open for many, many years. I used to go there in the 1950's while attending college in Boston. It was old then!

During my stay, I also made a couple of visits to the casino's in Conn. Foxwoods and the Mohican Sun. The casinos are magnificant facilities and are as good as any of the casinos in Atlantic City or Las Vegas. Made a small contribution to the Indian Tribes and had a great time.

New Bedford was also on my visit list with the Whaling Museum a must. This museum is the best if you have any interest in the whaling industry of the 1700 and 1800's. What a tough life the crews of the ships had with voyages lasting 3 or 4 years before they came home to their families.

From my rig Scusset Beach
There is a good maritime museum in Honolulu that also covers a lot of the whaling activities in the Pacific. Most of the ships that left New Bedford or Nantucket stopped in Honolulu for some R & R.

Moved down to the State Park at the end of the Cape Cod canal. Scusset is a great park with most of the sites private. Being so near to the canal makes fishing just a short walk or bike ride. I love this place.

Have an ex sister in law living on the Cape and I went down and had a nice visit with her. We toured "down Cape" to Provincetown stopping at many of the beautiful beaches along the way. had some of the great seafood all during my stay on the Cape. Highland Lighthouse was a nice visit. The views from the top were super.

During the balance of my stay in Taunton, I visited friends and family and had a great time walking down memory lane with them.

Summary: Elk RV Parking; 38; Escapee Rv Parks: 21; Public RV Parks: 29; National Parks: 42; Ships: 9; Forts: 17.

Expenses: 30 months on the road with an average expense of $1907/month.

cape Cod from the lighthouse