Taunton, MA to Fairfax, VA., Washington, DC

Fairfax Travel Blog

Washington, DC

After a wonderful 3 month visit in New England, the weather finally  turned cold and following my plan to always stay south of the frost line, I started headed away from it. My plan was to drive straight through to Virginia because most all of the RV campgrounds had already closed for the season. Stopped in several rest areas for naps and a shower in a Home Depot parking lot on the way.

Arrived in Fairfax, VA., Elks Lodge and found that they had electric hook ups but no water in the camping area. Filled up my water tank at the Lodge and settled in for my visit to Washington, DC. The rapid transit station was close to the Lodge so that transportation into DC would be no problem.

Air and Space Museum

The Metro ride took about 30 minutes to deposit me right in the middle of the Mall with the capitol to my right and Washington Monument to my left. What could be better! The day was bitter cold but I had dressed for it  Immediately I ran into a spirited demonstration of Atheists on the Mall. Interesting to hear the debates between them and the Christians on the edge of the crowd.

I hiked around the Capital Building, got my bearings and spent the rest of the day in the Air and Space Museum. What a beautiful dispay it was. On an other day, I got to the Washington Monument but was not able to go up because all of the days tickets had already been issued. very impressive up close. The Korean War Memorial which was quite new was my next stop. A beautiful and moving memorial with bigger than life sized soldiers advancing through the Korean countryside.

Lincoln Memorial
My next stop was to see the Lincoln  Memorial. Pictures do not do this justice.

Close to the Lincoln Memorial was the Vietnam Wall. As I walked down and looked at the thousands of names there, I spotted a couple of friends I knew including a college room mate. Wow, it was a powerful experience. This day ended with a visit to the White House. It was smaller than I expected and very well guarded as were all of the buildings here.

On my next trip into the city I visited the National Geographic headquarters. It was disappointing as I expected a museum and all they had were photos on display. I then moved on to the Museum of Natural History where I spent the balance of the day and then returned for another visit because it was so large and interesting.

Got brave one day and drove into the city.

Arlington Cemetery
Traffic and parking was so bad that I turned around and visited the Iwo Jima Marine Memorial and then took a tour of Arlington Cemetery where I saw the Kennedy grave, Lee house and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The changing of the guard is quite a sight to see. What precision!

On Veterans Day which was cold, rainy and windy, I came to the Vietnam memorial to help celebrate the 20th anniversary of the memorial and to remember and pay tribute to the 57000 who lost their lives in that war. Thousands of veterans were there and I was glad I chose to be part of the tribute.

Washingto is a place that you could take weeks to tour and explore but after 13 days, it was time to once again follow the frost line south.

Summary:

Elks Lodges - 16,  Escapee Parks - 5  Public RV Parks - 8  National Parks -15  Major Ships - 5  Forts - 9

Expenses: After 7 months on the road, I have an average of $1939 per month.

Iwo Jima Memorial