Summerdale, AL to Slidell, LA., Stennis Space Center, Mardi Gras

Slidell Travel Blog

New Orleans

I spent a couple of months in Summerdale just relaxing and waiting for the weather to change. The time there was a lot of fun and quite relaxing but it was time to move on.

Mardi Gras was an event that I always wanted to attend so I decided to attend this year. Slidell would be a great place to stay because to is close enough to New Orleans to be able to get in and out of the city easily.

The last time I stayed in Slidell, we had several familys of ducks making their home in the pond behind the RV Parking area. On this visit, they were all gone except one big bossy duck. He was such a pain in the A** that we named him Hemorrhoid.

Before Mardi Gras, I toured the NASA Stennis Space Center which was close to Slidell.

New Orleans
Mississippi Senator, John Stennis must have had some political power to have this facility located in the boondocks of lower Mississippi in 1963. It is our largest rocket propulsion testing complex and it is here that the engines used in the space shuttle are tested. They have set aside thousands of acres around the facility as a noise buffer because of the noise generated when they fire up on of the engines. Also located here is the Naval Meteorology ans Oceanographic Command, Department of Defense, the National Buoy Center, EPA and many other agencies. Some of the fastest computers in the world are located here. It was an interesting tour.

During my stay in Slidell, I went down to New Orleans 4 times and through the Mardi Gras three week Carnival saw seven different Parades. The expense of the hundreds of floats, costumes, beads and associated items costs each member of a Krew on a float several thousand dollars.

New Orleans
Thats a lot of money to ride a float. Bourbon Street was jammed with party people and I had a great time on all of my visits. Mardi Gras is a celebration not to be missed. Thanks to a digital camera, I fired off loads of pictures. I came away from the parades with tons of beads that were thrown from the floats. What to do with them now? Decided to give them to my sister fro her Christmas tree.

Summary:

Elks Lodges: 22, Escapee Parks: 7, Public RV Parks: 9, National parks: 20, Major Ships: 5, Forts: 15

Expenses:  11 months on the road with an average of $1863 per month.

Hemorrhoid