Summerdale AL to Charleston, SC., Fts. Sumter, Moultrie, Carrier Yorktown, Sub Clamagore

Charleston Travel Blog

Lake Aire campground

On March 24, I went to the Mobile airport and picked up my good friend Mike who had just flown in from Honolulu. He and his family are moving to the Charleston area after several years in Honolulu and had asked if he could bunk in my RV until his family also arrived and I agreed. We started out for Charleston and stayed in the Elks RV park in Tallahassee the first night and then pushed on to the Lake Aire RV Park just outside Charleston on 3/26/07. I decided to take secondary roads up through Georgia which was a beautiful drive. Avoiding the Interstates makes the travel a real treat. You can see so much more about the countryside that way.

We spent several weeks getting Mike set up in Charleston. His dog Rusty arrived after the long flight from Honolulu and I swear his bladder is as large as a watermelon.

Good old Rusty
The cage was dry and when we let him out, he peed for about 10 minutes. Great dog!

While waiting for his family to arrive, we took a run down to Bluffton to visit my sister and she fed us a wonderful prime rib dinner. Finally Mike's wife and 2 little girls arrived and they settled in a hotel waiting for their house to be ready for them to move into.

I saw that there was an air show scheduled at the Marine Air Base in Beaufort, SC and I decided to drive down and attend it. The performances and static displays were great until the end of the Blue Angels performance when one crashed into some homes just off of the runways and killed the pilot.

Air Show
What a horrible thing to witness. This was the second air show I have attended where a performer was killed. Should I stop going to them???? The base was closed for about 3 1/2 hours after the crash and it took a long time to get back to Charleston. Not a great day!

The last time I visited Charleston, I had passed on the boat ride out to Fort Sumter so this time I went.  Had a good tour with a National Park Ranger who really showed us around the fort. From there, I revisited the Aircraft Carrier Yorktown and the Submarine Clamagore. Both ships are open for extensive tours with everything from the bridge to the engine rooms open. The Carrier had quite a few airplanes also on display.

Next on the tour list in the Charleston area was Fort Moultrie which is across the harbor from Ft Sumter. The National Park Service has done a very good job in showing the evolution of the Fort from the Revolutionary War, through the Civil War and all the way up to WW 2.

Ft Moultrie
Displays of most of the cannons used at the fort were there on display with comments about the changes over time. This Fort should not be missed if you are in the area.

The balance of my time in the Charleston area was spent getting ready for the summers adventures up in the northern tier of the country. Got Mike and his family settled in their home, said goodby and hit the road for parts unknown. I always have a general idea as to where I am headed but specific decisions are always done at the last minute.

Summary: Elk Rv Parks: 48; Escapee Rv parks: 25; Public RV Parks: 39; National Parks: 55; Ships: 14; Forts: 27.

Expenses: 46 months on the road with an average of $1949/month.

Air Show,  Beaufort