Santa Maria, CA to Coarsegold, CA., Sequoia Grove, Yosemite Nat'l Park

Coarsegold Travel Blog

Park Sierra Escapee RV Park

My trip from Santa Maria to Coarsegold was highlighted by my third tire failure on my 5th wheel trailer. I had put all new Nankang trailer tires on it a bit over a year ago and with this problen, it's three that have failed. Don't ever buy this brand as they have very poor construction.

The Escapee RV Park in Coarsegold, Park Sierra is one of the most beautiful parks I have stayed at. All sites are nestled in oak trees and is quite hilly. As a result, each site is on a different level and you are not on top of your neighbors. They have a huge clubhouse , air conditioned and has a huge book and video library. The folks here are very friendly and made me feel right at home.

Pioneer Village Yosemite
The park is located in the foothills of the Sierra Mountains, in gold country. Fresno is 25 miles south and Yosemite 27 miles to the north. An idea location. My site had a large deck and I set up my hammock which I really enjoyed.

My month here was filled with trips to Yosemite and visite to the high Sierras. The first visit was to the Pioneer History Center where the early settler history was explained and shown. A bus took me to see Mariposa Grove of giant Sequoia trees. The Giant Sequoia is a massive tree, not as tall as the coastal redwood but larger in total mass because of it's larger diameter. These trees are huge with the Grizzly Giant the largest. It is here that the famous tree with a road cut through the center was located. It fell during a recent snow storm.

Got stuck here

On another day, I took a ride on the National Park Service Scenic Byway. This road takes you high in the Sierras and reached an elevation of over 8000 feet. The condition of the road was terrible and it had just opened after being closed all winter due to snow. Potholes that would swallow a VW. There was very little traffic on this road and if one ran into mechanical trouble, it would be a long wait for help. There was pleanty of snow on the high peaks as well as on the north facing slopes. The scenery was breath taking with mountains, rivers, waterfalls and lakes all around you. On the way down on the north slope, I ran into a snow drift across the road and thought I could power through it. WRONG! About half way through, I got stuck and was in real trouble. In shorts and sandles mucking around in a couple of feet of cold slushy snow.

Yosemite
I finally was able to back out of the snow and had to retrace my route down to the campground.

Yosemite National Park was visited several days. The beauty of the park can't be properly told. Before entering the valley, I stopped at Glacier Point which is a view point high above the valley. Across the valley is the famous Half Dome, to the right a three stage waterfall and straight down is the bulk of the valley. The views were breathtaking. After a few hours, I descended into the Valley and explored the Visitors Center. On the way out, I stopped at Yosemite Falls and on the hike up to them, got eaten alive by millions of mosquitoes. Beat a hasty retreat and returned to the RV park. The next trip, I got some DEET and that solved the mosquito problem.

On my next visit to Yosemite, I took my bike which solved the parking problem in the center.

Yosemiet
Rode all over the valley and stopped many times to explore areas of interest. I spent a long time in a meadow across from El Capitan watching rock climbers slowly assend the face of this shear rock face. The average to climb it used to run from three to five days with overnight stops hanging from the rock in hammocks. A new sport is speed climbing where some hardy folks have summited the face in about four hours. The experienced climbers told me that that was a sure way to get killed. Watching with binoculars and telecopes was a sure way to gather a crowd and I met visitors from Canada, New Zealand, Italy, China, Germany and France. We would point where to look and lend them the binoclulars to help them see the climbers.

The folks at the Escapee Park were very friendly and we had a great Fathers day celebration. Dinner was served by the park and was great. There were activities every day.

My month in the Sierra Mountains was very relaxing and filled with the beauty of the high mountains.

Summary: Elks Lodges: 26, Escapee Parks: 9, Public RV Parks: 11, National Parks: 26, Major Ships: 5, Forts: 15

Expenses: 14 Monthly average = $1874/ month

Half Dome Yosemite
Half Dome Yosemite
Straight down from Galcier Point
…
Straight down from Galcier Point …
High Sierras