Raccoon Valley, TN to Warner Robbins, GA., Andersonville Nat'l Park, Carter Home, Robbins AFB

Warner Robins Travel Blog

Warner Robbins Elks

Once again, the weather is forcing me south with nights in the 20's. My water line had been frozen a couple of times so off I go.

Drove south through Chattanooga, Atlanta and ended up at the Elks Lodge about 20 miles south in Warner Robbins, GA. Looking at the map, I found myself almost dead center in Georgia.

A highlight of my stay in Warner Robbins was an opportunity to visit the site of the National Park, Andersonville Civil War prison. I read the book and saw the movie and always was interested in the history of Andersonville. It held more than 45,000 Union prisoners at the height of it's use and of them, over 13,000 died of disease, malnutrition, overcrowding or exposure to the elements.

The visitors center doubles as the National Prisoner of War Museum as well as the Center for Andersonville.

Andersonville
Displays cover the experience of prisoners from the Civil War, WW 2, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm. It was a moving experience to see and hear what our men and women went through in the course of fighting for our country.

The site of the prison has been very well preserved and there were photos of the camp spotted around the site which helped visualize what it looked like when fully occupied. A don't miss if you are in the area.

Up in Macon, GA., I visited the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. It was loaded with instruments, stage outfits and various other pieces of memorabilia from artists who were from Georgia or have recorded there. Listening posts were spotted all over the museum where you could listen to the music of the performer featured near the area.

Robbins AFB
near this museum was the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame which I did not visit.

A few miles down the road from the Elks Lodge is Robbins AFB and I visited the Air Museum there. The aircraft were stored in 3 large hangers plus an outside display area. They have over 90 planes on display but they have them so crowded, it was hard to see or walk around. The quality of the displays was very good.

Also close was Plains Georgia, the home of President Jimmy Carter. The National Park here was not very impressive. (Like his term in office).

It was here that I had the first tire problem on my rig. You will hear more about tires later in these reports.

Summary:

Elks Lodges: 19, Escapee Parks: 6,  Public RV Parks: 9,  Nat'l Parks: 19,  Major Ships: 5,  Forts: 9

Expenses: 8 months on the road with an average expense of $1919 per month.

Andersonville tunnel