Raccoon Valley, TN to Radcliff, KY., Makers Mark, Heaven Hill & Jim Beam Distilleries, Ft Knox

Radcliff Travel Blog

Radcliff, KY

Continuing slowly north, I decided to revisit the Bourbon country of Kentucky. The drive up from Tennessee was on secondary roads and ran through some beautiful country. Found the RV park in Radcliff, KY.,  and it was one of the worst parks I have stayed at. It was a section of a very large mobile home park that had to have been built during the 1970's when Fort Knox was full of soldiers during the Viet Nam War. It was truly a dump with hundreds of rundown shabby old mobile homes. I decided to stay as I was tired from the long drive and the location was right for everything I wanted to visit. My friend from Summerdale and Daytona was enroute and we were going to meet up here.

Before Bob arrived, I took a run over to Loretto, KY and revisited the Makers Mark distillery where they make one of the best bourbons.

Makers Mark
 Took the guided tour of the facility and met the owner, Bill Samuels. The distillery sits in one of the beautiful hollows of Kentucky. Unfortunately no samples were available. In the afternoon, after lunch in Bardstown I toured the Heaven Hill distillery. This is the distillery that had a huge fire in 1996 that burned millions of gallons of bourbon that were in the big ageing sheds. Bob arrived that afternoon and the next day, we drove up the road to Fort Knox and toured the General Patton museum which has many tanks on display as well as a lot of General Pattons life and history. We also went to the Jim Beam distillery where we had an opportunity to sample some of their fine limited production bourbons. I liked Knob Creek best.....so smoooooth. Back to Bardstown where we visited the Oscar Getz bourbon museum. Everything you ever wanted to know and see about the early development of Kentucky bourbon is on display in this nice museum.

We went to a nice 1/2 mile dirt stock car race one evening and saw some good spirited races. One more race track visited in my travels.

Summary: Elk RV Parking: 48; Escapee RV Parks: 26; Public Rv Parks: 40; national Parks: 55; Ships: 14; Forts: 29.

Expenses: 46 months on the road with an average of $1949 per month.

Whiskey Creek, Makers Mark