Pensacola, FL to Summerdale, AL., Ft Conde, Ft Morgan,

Summerdale Travel Blog

Summerdale, AL Escapees Park

After a week in Pensacola, I moved back to the Escapees Park in Summerdale, AL This park is my favorite as I have made many friends here and it's a good location to wait out the winter.

The Christmas celebration here was great. On Christmas eve we had a big party with loads of good food and fun activities. Christmas day, we had a ham dinner with the ham provided by the park and  the rest of the food provided by each table on a pot luck basis. Wonderful! About 150 travelers attended the activities and we had a great time. This is one of the benefits of the Escapees Club. Fellowship for the full time travelers. The fun continued with a pot luck lunch the next day where we finished off the ham and all of the other food. That was even better because we could sample foods from all of the other tables.

Summerdale, AL

One of the best decisions I made in the planning for this lifestyle was to join Escapees. between this and the Elks, it's like having an extended family. I always have a place to go and new people to meet.

While in Summerdale, I took several trips to Mobile and found another fort to explore. Fort Conde is located right in the heart of the city and is very old. Origionally the Spanish built it and it was used to protect Mobile from attacks from the sea.

Revisited Fort Morgan and discovered another new one. Fort Gaines was a fort built to cover the entrance to Mobile bay during the Civil War. These forts all have very similar constructions, mainly built with locally made bricks. They quickly found that a brick fort would not stand up to the newer naval guns developed in the mid 1800's and as a result most were abandoned later in the 1800's.

Summerdale, AL

The balance of my time in Summerdale was spent exploring the countryside, going to the beaches in Gulf Shores and simply relaxing and enjoying visiting with my friends there. We found a shooting range near the park and a small group of us went up for a little competative target shooting. With small side bets, I won some and lost others and I guess I came out even. Other side trips were over to the casinos in Biloxi along the water front. They are all built on huge barges because of the laws in Mississippi.

The balance of the time I did some preventative maintenance on my rig and truck. It's funny that every time someone starts to work on a rig, a group will gather to oversee and provide assistance and advice. It is like a magnet, all of us oldtimers getting together telling tall stories and advising this poor guy who is trying to get something done.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 21, Escapee Parks: 6, Public RV Parks: 9, National Parks: 20, Major Ships: 5, Forts: 15

Expenses: 8 months on the road with an average expense of $1919 per month.

Escapees Park