Pecos, TX to Fredericksburg, TX., Nat'l Museum of the Pacific War

Fredericksburg Travel Blog

Museum of the Pacific War

From an overnight stay in Pecos, we traveled to Fredericksburg, TX, and stayed at a nice commercial park there. This little town in the hill country of Texas has a large German population and is quite touristy. Little shops and restaurants all over the town. I reminded me of Solvang, CA which has a large Danish influence. Fredericksburg is located only 20 miles from LBJ's ranch where Lady Bird still lives.

The ride from Pecos was interesting as you leave the flatlands and move into quite hilly country. It was very windy which was hitting me broadside causing some sway to my 5th wheel. Wish I had dual wheels in my truck. My buddy who was traveling with me to Livingston, TX was driving ahead of me in his motor home and was having more problems than I was with the winds.

Museum of the Pacific War
He was swerving all over the road and I am sure he had white knuckels.

With all of the ranches in this area, I saw many pickup trucks, all with extra brush/bumper guards on them. I wondered why until I got on a secondary road and started to count the dead deer on the side of the road. On a stretch of 40 miles, I counted 19 dead deer. It sure answered the question about the bumper guards. They protect the fronts of the trucks in case they hit a deer.

Fredericksburg was the home of Admiral Nimitz, one of our great  military leaders during WW2. They have a first class museum there called the National Museum of the Pacific and it covered many of the aspects of the war in the Pacific. It was an interesting place to visit.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 30, Escapee RV Parks: 14, Public RV Parks: 16, National Parks: 31, Major Ships: 7, Forts: 15

Expenses: Twenty months on the road with an average of $ 1814 / month