Pahrump, NV to Zion National Park, UT., Bryce Nat'l Park

Springdale Travel Blog

Zion RV Park

Well,  finally I was ready to resume my travels after getting restocked and motivated.

This leg had me go up through St George, Utah, and then into Zion National Park. I drove straight through the Park and in the east end came to a low narrow tunnel just before you exit. I had to pay an extra $15.00 to go through the tunnel because they had to stop traffic so I could drive down the center due to the sloped ceiling. Parked just outside the east entrance in a RV park and found because of the remote area I was in, I had no phone or internet connection. They also wanted to charge me the extra fee every time I went back and forth through the tunnel because my truck has dual wheels. I was able to negotiate my way out of the charge.

Zion NP is such a beautiful place where at every turn a new vista opens up for viewing.

Zion
Because of heavy visitor traffic, the Park Service has blocked car traffic into the interior of the Park. Fortunately, they have a shuttle bus system which runs every 5 or 10 minutes and carries passengers all of the way into the park. I took it and at the last stop, took a hike along the river to where the Narrows trail begins. This trail crosses the river and in a strenuous hike goes well into the more beautiful sections of the Park. I did not attempt it because it looked like more than I wanted to try. This park is one not to be missed. I must have taken a hundred pictures but will only post some of the better ones.

East of Zion, I took a ride high up into the mountains past a beautiful lake, (Navajo Lake), and down a narrow dirt road back to the RV Park.

Navajo lake
Came across several abandoned mines and only saw a couple of cars all going up to the lake. This was real back country.

Close to Zion NP, is Bryce Canyon National Park. It was a ride of only 65 miles from where I was staying. Bryce is not really a canyon but more like a long run of cliffs with beautiful rock formations on the edge. Hoodoos which are large columns of rock carved by the wind and rain are the main feature in this park. Lots of vivid red cliffs make this park unique and I took a bunch of pictures here as well. Thank God for digital cameras. Just fire away and store on your computer. No film processing needed. Bryce is at an altitude of over 9000 feet and I could feel the effect of the altitude thanks to the Marlboros.

This area of the country does not have many towns and shopping for groceries was a challenge. One little grocery store I found had a large display of the Book of Mormon printed in several languages right in front of the door. Sure was in the heart of Mormon country.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 33, Escapee Parks: 20, Public RV Parks: 23, National Parks: 35, Ships: 9, Forts: 17

Expenses: 27 months traveling with an average of $ 1855 per month.

Zion, Checkerboard