Pahrump, NV to Honolulu, HI., Heliocopter flight, Volcano Nat'l park, Luau, Pearl Harbor

Honolulu Travel Blog

North Shore

This leg is a little off the RV trip but was so good that I had to include it. A friend of mine was getting married in Honolulu and I flew over to attend. The roads for my RV were a bit wet to drive to Hawaii so I decided to fly.

While in Hawaii, we packed in a lot of sightseeing in a short period of time.

A helicopter ride over the island of Oahu was fantastic. The pilot gave a running commentary of the sights and we flew over Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, the surfing beaches on the North side and the center of the island. We flew up canyons, over ridges and saw some beautiful waterfalls.

Luau
A copter ride should be a must see if you travel to Hawaii.

One evening we attended a real authentic Hawaiian Luau. Not like the one in Nevada I attended. This was the real thing with all of the ceremony of the pig and then after we ate a couple of hours of entertainment. The dances, music and entertainment featured many of the islands in the Pacific.

The marriage took place on one of the beautiful beaches on the island and then we had a wedding dinner at one of the big hotels near Waikiki. A lovely ceremony.

We flew over to the Big Island, landed in Hilo and took a great drive up to see the Volcano National Park. The visitor center is high on the mountain and a great place to see what recent eruptions look like. It was a very interesting place to visit.

Chick magnet, Rusty

From there, we continued to Kona and stayed in a bed and breakfast there. At sunset, we were experiencing vog which was a combination of sea fog and emissions from the volcano. This made the sunset beautiful with interesting colors. We also visited a Buddhist Temple and took a hike to a beautiful waterfall. This hike went through a rain forest.

I took my friends dog for walks along Waikiki beach and what a "chick magnet" he was. I met many people thanks to him.

Honolulu has a great Maritime Museum which I visited. The displays were focused towards the early maritime history of the islands and also included quite a lot of the whaling history of Hawaii. Having visited the whailing museum in New Bedford, MA, I could relate to this aspect of the history at the othere end of their voyages. Over the door of the museum, they have mounted the largest Blue Marlin ever caught on rod and reel.

It weighed 1805 lbs and is very impressive to see.

Located in the hills above Honolulu is the Punchbowl National Cemetery which has resting there many of the Pearl Harbor armed forces who dies that terrible day. It sets in the crater of an extinct volcano and is a beautiful peaceful resting place for so many of our brave veterans who gave their life's for us.

No time visiting Hawaii would be complete without seeing Pearl Harbor. The National Park Service has done a great job at this memorial. They have a museum at the visitor center and a boat shuttle out to the site of the Battleship Arizona where they have erected a memorial. A tour of the battleship Missouri where the Pacific phase of WW2 ended was very interesting. Moored next to the visitor center is a WW2 submarine which was open for touring. I can't imagine what service on one of these subs was like. So cramped and claustrophic.

The Dole Pineapple Company has a visitor center located in the middle of the island of Oahu and was very interesting to visit. They offer a train ride through the pineapple fields and beautiful gardens. The Pineapple ice cream was super good.

Hawaii is a beautiful place to visit. All of our tours and side trips were arranged by a great company. Hawaii Travel Network who took care of everything and did a fantastic job. If you plan a trip there, be sure to check them out as they can pre book all of your activities at discounted prices.

Waterfall, Big Island