Oshkosh, WI to Spring Valley, WI., Eau Galle Corps of Engineers Campground

Spring Valley Travel Blog

Eau Galle Campground

Last winter while thinking about my travels the coming summer, I got a guide book on all of the Corps of Engineer Campgrounds around the country and decided to try a few of them out in my trip. From Oshkosh I had decided to go west and found a Corps of Engineers campground about a days drive away. It was located on Lake Eau Galle quite remote from any cities ar large towns. This I am finding is quite typical for these parks.

The ride from Oshkosh was interesting with thousands of silos connected to the large farms in this region. Corn fields everywhere with gentle hills and wooded sections but mostly corn fields. The corn was short as it was early in the growth cycle but I can imagine how tall it would be later in the year.

Eau Galle Lake
Thanks to my trusty GPS, I found the campground with no problems. The site I had selected was terrible, very narrow and down hill on a curve in the road. Backing into it was tough and it really heated up the tranny. It had heavy tree cover so that said, no TV for the time I was there.

The time I was camped there was uneventful with plenty of time to catch up on maintenance and other tasks I had been putting off. Traveled around the little towns around the area and found nothing much of interest. Having lunch in the little cafes and diners is fun people watching. Using the Corps of Engineers is more like true camping and not like 95% of the RV travel I am used to where you are in more populated areas.

Summary: Elk RV Parking: 51; Escapee RV parks: 26; Public RV Parks: 43; National Parks: 55; Ships: 17; Forts: 28.

Expenses: 47 months on the road with an average of $1960/month