From Old Mystic, CT to Avon, NC., Outer Banks of NC

Avon Travel Blog

Cape Hatteras

Left Old Mystic, CT and started south for the Outer Banks of NC. Had origionally planned to lay over somewhere and make this leg a two day trip but as I got closer, I changed my mind and decided to continue without stopping. Coming down on I 95 had me travel right through NYC and that was a big mistake. Traffic was terrible and in the future, I must remember to avoid this route and to take the bypass around the city. Drove down the lenght of the NJ Turnpike after crossing the George Washington Bridge, down through NJ, DE, MD, VA and into NC. Traveling up and under the Chesapeake Bay bridge and tunnel was quite an experience. Got to Avon in the early evening and stayed in a parking lot for the night. The tolls on this run were $66.00 and the fuel cost was $127.

Outer Banks, NC
00. What an expensive day!

The next morning, I moved over to the Sands of Time campground and settled in for a month of relaxation and some fishing on the beaches there. This being my second trip here gave me more courage about taking my dually out on the beach so off I went. Got stuck in the sand once but quickly figured out what I had done wrong and got out. The beaches here are simply beautiful and I did a lot of surf fishing with mixed results. Caught a puppy drum, flounders and many small bluefish. Don't care if I don't catch big fish as the time on the beach was worth it. So beautiful with miles and miles of clean sand and breaking waves. Never very crowded as all of the beach folks need a vehicle to get there and we all spread out. Had nice neighbors at the campground most of whom were fishermen. October is supposed to be prime fishing time but based on what I saw, not this year. The boat fishermen had much better results with big fish landed.

Had another water line blow out behind the water heater and I had to crawl back there to get it fixed. This time I think it will hold with no more problems.

A great month on the Outer Banks and a location I intend to return to in the future.

Summary: Elk RV Parking: 46; Escapee RV parks: 25; Public RV parks: 37; National Parks: 53; Ships: 12; Forts: 22

Expenses: 40 Months on the road with an average expense of $1960.

The beach Outer Banks, NC