Oklahoma, City, OK to Amarillo, TX., Cadillac Ranch, Rt. 66 Museum

Amarillo Travel Blog

Cadillac Ranch

My plan when leaving Oklahoma, City was to travel west on as much of Route 66 as I could find. Much of the route has been lost and Interstate 40 follows where it once was. In Clinton, OK I found a nice museum in Clinton, OK that centered on the Route 66 history. It had many pictures and artifacts of the old road and the people who used it on their way west.

My day ended in Amarillo, TX where I parked at the Elks Lodge there. The weather had turned bad on this leg and I ended up holed up for a couple of days until it passed through. Got some snow and the temperatures dropped down below freezing. My water hose froze up one morning and took a while to thaw out. Ice had frozen on my steps and when I went out, I slipped and fell hard on my back on the 3 metal steps. Stunned for a bit and sure was sore the next day.  Amarillo sits on a high plateau and the winds were howling fo a couple of days.

Leaving Amarillo going west on I 40, I spotted "Cadillac Ranch" sitting in the middle of a field. needless, I stopped to see it. Quite a site, ten Cadillac's buried nose down in a row. The cars have been painted with so much graffiti that in places it looks like it is inches thick. These cars have been here so long that many of the Route 66 guide books feature them.

Summary:

Elk Lodges: 25, Escapee Parks: 7, Public RV Parks: 10, National Parks: 22, Major Ships: 5, Forts: 15

Expenses: Eleven Months Average = $1813/ Month