Oaktown, IN, to Springfield, OH...Indianapolis Speedway and Wright Patterson AFB Museum

Springfield Travel Blog

Indianapolis Speedway

On this leg of my trip, I stopped at the Indianapolis Speedway and took the time to tour the museum and take a drive on the track. Was able to see the new safer walls they have installed on the track. The installation of these newer walls have saved several lives. The museum was a disappointment as they have only a couple of NASCAR race cars on display. Winning Indy cars were the featured displays but the museum store made up for the NASCAR slight as it was loaded with merchandise for them.

I continued to Springfield and parked at a State park right on the banks of a large lake. A beautiful spot. I selected this place because it was close to Wright Patterson AFB which was high on my list of things to see on this trip.

Wright Patterson AFB is the site of the Air Force Museum and is one of the best in the country. It is huge with pristine examples of planes from the Wright Brothers right up to the latest in our Air Force. There were hangers focused for each era of plane development with the addition of Presidential planes and another with R & D one of a kind unusual ones. I sure was pooped from all of the walking at the end of the day but the visit was well worth it. My pictures of the museum came out awful due to the lighting so I will not post very many.

Summary: Escapee RV parks: 21, Elk Lodges: 36, Public RV Parks: 27, National Parks: 40, Ships: 9, Forts: 17

Expenses:  28 months with an average of $ 1874 per month

WalterS72 says:
The State Park in Springfield would have been Buck Creek State Park and future visitors can get information at http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/716/default.aspx
Posted on: Nov 29, 2007