Muskegon, MI to Sault Ste Marie, MI., Locks, Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum

Sault Ste. Marie Travel Blog

Sault Ste Marie, MI Elks

After 3 days in Muskegon, I drove up the east shore of Lake Michigan expecting a beautiful view of the Lake and the little towns on the way. Unfortunately the whole drive was in rain and heavy fog so I saw nothing but the road. Located the Lodge with no problem thanks to my GPS which I love and depend on all of the time. The Lodge is located right on the edge of the river connecting Lake Superior and Lake Huron. The Sault Ste Marie locks were only about one mile up stream of where I was camped and the river traffic with huge ore carriers was constant with 10-20 passing me daily. What a site!

The weather when I got there was cold raw and windy but I could not wait to see the locks so off I went. I froze while watching a 1000 foot ship transit the locks.

Lock gate
Very interesting to see how it was lifted from the river level to the Lake level. During the time I was camped there I made several visits to the locks and really enjoyed watching how they worked. Found a web site that listed every ship that works in the Great Lakes. It gave the history, dimensions and just about everything you could want to know about the ship. They were so close to where I was camped that I could read the name and look them up as they sailed by very slowly. A large amount of the ships on the Great Lakes are so large that they cannot ever leave the lakes as the locks down stream going into the St Lawrence river are too small to take them. Imagine, ships 1000 feet long, but only just wide enough to transit the locks. The larger ones have to be constructed in pieces and assembled in the lakes.
They are huge.

Just up from the Elks, they have an old retired ore carrier, the Valley Camp,  transformed into a great museum. The story of the Edmund Fitzgerald disaster was well told in a short movie there along with much history about shipping on the lakes. Across the street was the Tower of History which from the top gave wonderful views of the locks, river and the city.

Took a nice drive west along the southern side of Lake Superior up to Whitefish Point to visit the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. Along the lakeshore were many pulloffs which lead to nice small sandy beaches. The population along this drive was very small with a few summer cottages but few full time residences.

Out Bound
The museum is on the site of Whitefish Point Lighthouse and you could visit the lightkeepers house, lifeboat station and the museum where artifacts of many wrecks are on display. The bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald is on display as it sunk about 17 miles off of the point in 535 feet of water. They reported at the museum that there have been over 6000 ships lost in the Great Lakes with over 30,000 men, women and children lost in these shipwrecks. I can't imagine living here in the winter with the "storms of November" howling.

My visit in Sault Ste Marie was great and it is an area that should be seen.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 50; Escapee RV parks: 26; Public RV Parks: 41; National Parks: 55; Ships: 17; Forts: 28.

Expenses: 47 months on the road with an average of $1960/month.

In the lock. Tight fit