Moab to Westminster, CO. Air Museum

Westminster Travel Blog

Westminster Elks

After a great 2 weeks in Moab, UT., it was time to move on. The weather is getting cooler and storms seem to be building up in the west so it's east and south for me. Because a serius storm was expected come in this evening I decided to get on the interstate and get to the Denver area before it hit. Looking in the rear window of my truck, I could see the dark clouds building behind me and fortunately I won the race with pleanty of time to spare.

I 70 into west Colorado is a beautiful drive as you drive up the west side of the Rocky Mountains climbing all of the time. Higher and higher we went and as I passed through Beaver Creek, I flashed back on the good times I enjoyed there in the 1980's.

Westminster Elks
Skiing all over the different ski areas in that part of Colorado and even getting married in the condo at Beaver Creek. On the long down hill from the top of the pass west of Denver, I heard metal to metal sounds as I was braking and knew instantly I was in big trouble with a brake job ahead of me before I left Denver.

With the help of the GPS, I found the Elks Lodge in Westminster with no problems. Westminster is a suburb a bit north west of downtown Denver. The Lodge has recognized the financial benefit of a semi campground for the traveling brother Elks and heve built a facility that can handle 30 rigs with full hookups. Very rare for a lodge.

My top priority was to get the brakes fixed and once I drove my truck without the 5th wheel behind it, quickly concluded it was not the truck but was the trailer.

Denver Air Museum
After looking around, I found a RV repair center that could fit me in the following week. Brought the rig over to the repair center and left it for the day with the understanding that they would have it fixed by the end of the day. I went off and visited the Air and Space museum in Denver which was crowded with a Christmas craft sale going on inside. Booths all over the floor crowding the aircraft and preventing good picture taking. From the Air Museum, I went into the center of Denver, parked and walked down to the US Mint only to find that the tours were already booked so I took a picture and headed back to check up on the brake job.

Found out that the 19 year old brake equipment had finally died and that the only safe thing to do is to replace the whole system. I was shown the problems and agreed to go ahead and do the job.

Denver Air Museum
$$$$$. Unfortunately that meant the rig would have to stay with them for another day so I went out and got a room at Motel 6 and crashed for the night The next day, while fueling up, I noticed a rear tire looked a little low. Reached in and found it was flat so I drove over to the air hose and figured I would try to air it up. After putting air in for a few moments, I noticed I was getting nowhere and when examining the tire found a hole in the interior sidewall. Oh crap, what's next? good chance that I damaged the tire on my 4X4 adventure back in Moab and most likely drove all of the way to Denver with it flat. One of the benefits of having a dually. Found a Goodyear dealer thanks to the GPS and had a new tire mounted. back to the repair center and waited for a couple of hours for the brake job to be finished and back to the lodge for the night. Whew, what an expensive day that was!!!

Summary: Elk Lodges: 56; Escapee RV parks: 26; Public RV Parks: 53; national Parks: 68; Ships: 17; Forts: 30.

Expenses: 51 months on the road with an average of $1969/month.

Westminster