Moab, Colorado River, Route 128

Moab Travel Blog

Onion Creek Lunch break

As I said in my prior, this ride through the canyon along the Colorado River is very beautiful with the high red cliffs bordering you on both sides. I went about 25 miles up to where the road meets the river with a plan to explore on the return trip.

Turned off at the dirt track that goes into the Fisher Towers area, and continued all the way into the parking area at the base of the Towers. It is a high very craggy butte and the sandstone formation is quite unique. Did a hike which brought me close to a deep cliff and stayed a time to appreciate the beauty of the area.

Came back to the main road and a few miles down took another dirt track which was called Onion Creek.

Onion Creek
This track gave me my first taste of 4x4 driving on a very rough rocky narrow road which continued along the side of a small creek. The deeper I went, the rougher the road got with some sharp switchbacks and steep drop-offs down to the creek. It was a narrow single track and I was hoping I would not meet anyone coming towards me as it would me a real challenge to pass with a steep drop-off on one side and a cliff wall on the other.

Finally, I had enough and found a small area where I could park and have some lunch. The cliffs here were colored gray blue which was quite unusual as everything else was red sandstone. Wish I knew more about geology. The sky was turning very cloudy and it was looking like rain so I decided to get out of this canyon because I had seen signs of water higher than the road bed and knew that flash floods were certainly a possibility if the mountains behind me got hit with some heavy rain. A nice day and I planned to return to finish exploring this area.

Some Onion Creek pictures are posted in the previous entry.

Summary: Elk Rv Parks: 55; Escapee RV parks: 26; Public RV Parks 53; National Parks: 65; Ships: 17; Forts: 30

Expenses: 50 months on the road with an average of $1969/month

walterman9999 says:
La Sal Mts. USFS: 435-587-2041
Back country free camping still legal. If you want the best go to Warner Lake campground at over 9000 feet. There are very large pure stands of aspen trees there. Cost is now $10. Pit toilets are there. Water is unrealible, so bring your own water.
Note for photographers and nature lovers: In the morning with the sun to your back, make a very short walk to Warner Lake, framed by aspens and moutain peaks. If there with no wind you can get wonderful photos of the trees and Mt. tops reflecting in the water with the actual trees and Mt. tops included. Use a wide angle lens. Either way, enjoy the view.
Posted on: Dec 16, 2013
walterman9999 says:
Free Camping La Sal Mts. (no services)
First, the pay camping on Utah 128 at the Colorado River is well worth the money. In the summer and its very hot near Moab, could you use some free camping in the cooler higher elevations of the La Sal Mts.?
In Moab buy the Forest Service map of the La Sal Mountains. There is a through road for the La Sal Mts. from Utah 128 to the south side of Moab. When you enter the forest service any road or pulloff can be your own private free camp. (back country camping)
Keep going up pass the 8000 foot elevation and camp in the pure aspen stands of large trees. (warm days and cool nights). There are some clearly marked pay camp areas, minimum cost and worth it, and they dont get crouded in summer. The pay areas generally have pit toilets, I cant remember if they have drinking water so bring your own water.
Posted on: Dec 14, 2013