Middleboro, MA to Taunton, MA., BB Massachusetts, New Bedford, Plymouth, Boston, Ft Adams

Taunton Travel Blog

Taunton Elks

Moved the 20 miles from the Elks Lodge in my home town of Middleboro to Taunton, MA where I set up behind the Lodge where they had electric and water hook ups.

After getting set up and comfortable, I took a ride around the area to see all of the changes that have taken place since leaving the area so many years ago. Visited with a couple of relatives I had not seen for 30 or 40 years.

Made a run down to Fall River, MA where I toured the Battleship Massachusetts. Yep, another battleship making 4 that I have visited. Alabama, North Carolina, Wisconsin and Massachusetts. Beside the battleship they have on display for tours the submarine Lionfish, destroyer Joseph P.

New Bedford
Kennedy and a Russian missle corvette. Also on display is 2 fully restored PT boats along with displays with pictures and artifacts representing every PT boat squadron of WW 2. The PT boats were much larger than I thought with lengths from 77 to 80 feet long. They were powered by dual 1600 hp Packard engines which explains why they were so fast.

Another day trip took me to New Bedford, MA where I toured the Whaling museum and National Park. This museum is without a doubt the most complete museum of whailing history in the world which is not surprising because New Bedford was the center of the industry. Within the building they have a 1/2 scale model of a typical whaling ship. It is large enough to board and walk around on it If you have read Moby Dick then you can appreciate New Bedford as several of the buildings mentioned in the book are still there and open for inspection.

Plymouth Rock
A city to be sure not to miss.

Plymouth was next on my visits and the first stop was to revisit Plymouth Rock. A small stone in size but a large symbol of our early American heritage. A couple of miles south of the town is Plymouth Plantation where the town has been reconstructed as it was in 1627. It is staffed by many actors playing the parts of the early settlers. They speak old English and are fully immersed in the roll of their character. You can't get them to react to anything beyond 1627. At one building, I met my grandmother, Alice Bradford, 11 generations back and made some comment about the relationship. She corrected me immediately by saying she had no grandchildren. (Remember 1627). Life was harsh then. In the Plantation they also had an Indian Village with several native Americans there giving a current viewpoint about the history of the early settlers and their native ancestors.

Plymouth Plantation
We were not very nice to them and these 20 th century descendents won't let us forget it. Within the visitors center they had a display illustrating what Thanksgiving was really like vs. the way it is taught and celebrated today. Wow, what an eye opening experience that was.

Since I left the area so many years ago, transportation has improved. I took a train into Boston and at the senior rate the ticket was only $5.00 round trip. The city has changed so much since I left with the construction of the Big Dig making the center of the city a real mess. Made stops at several of the historical sites and had lunch at my favorate resturant, Durgan Park. While in college, it was a frequent stop because of the inexpensive prices and huge portions.

USS Constitution
Nothing changed except the prices. Went over to see the Constitution but the crowds were too large and I passed on the tour of the ship. Visited Northeastern U., and could barely find my way around the campus. Great to see my favorate city again.

Drove up to see the JFK library and museum. Here they have concetrated on his early life and campaign for the Presidency. Very little about his death. All of his papers are stored here for historians to study. The display in Tampa, FL I felt was better than this the official one.

Made a day trip down to Newport, RI and visited Fort Adams there. The town was very crowded but driving by the old mansions was fun. What wealth there was before income taxes. All of the really big money folks built huge summer homes here. Went to Jai Alia here and could not pick a winner.

Summary:

Elks Lodges - 14   Escapees Parks - 5   Public RV Parks - 6   National Parks - 12   Major ships - 5   Forts - 8

Expenses:  5 months on the road with an average expense of $1800 per month.

DD Kennedy