Lake Sakakawea to Dickinson, ND., Dakota Dinosaur Museum, Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l park

Dickinson Travel Blog

Dinosaur Museum

On July 13, I drove over to Dickinson, ND where I stayed at the North Park RV campground. I decided to stay there because it was close to the Teddy Roosevelt National park which I had planned to visit. Again, the ride traveled through rolling hills with lots of wheat and hay in the fields.

While in Dickinson, I visited the Dakota Dinosaur Museum which was beautiful. There were thousands of rock, minerals and fossil specimens including a complete Triceratops skeleton. The presentation of the exhibits was extremely well done and instead of just walking by them, I stopped and really looked at everything. Each specimen had a card explaining what and where it came from. The displays of dinosaurs was extensive and very well presented.

Roosevelt Cabin
This was a don't miss if you get in the area.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park was next on my visits during my stay in Dickinson.  As a young man, he was sent to the west because of ill health and it was here on the North Dakota, Montana border that he settled and purchased a ranch. Later while President, he made this area a National Park. His cabin is now on display at the Visitor's Center. It is small and compact. From the visitor's center, I took a 36 mile drive around  the park. Saw a prairie dog town which covered many acres and was loaded with the little critters. You could see the watch dogs standing upright on the mounds they had dug keeping an eye open for any predators. Another interesting stop in the park was the site of aa coal seam fire that had been burning underground for 26 years.

My Buddy
The land had sunk where the coal had burned away.

While driving up to the top of a hill and around a corner, I was stopped by a large bull buffalo. He was in the middle of the road coming my way right on the yellow line. He showed no intention of moving over so, I did and he passed by me close enough to reach out and touch him. The thought crossed my mind that my insurance man might not be happy if I called him and said I had 2 large holes in my door.  The rest of the herd of buffalo were down in a meadow and it looked like my friend the bull and a couple of his buddies got on the wrong side of the guard rail. Boy, they are big.

Upon leaving the park, I stopped at a little tourist town, Medora, just outside the entrance, had lunch and an ice cream cone and then back to Dickinson.

Summary: Elk Rv camping: 52, Escapee RV Parks: 26, Public RV parks: 45, National parks: 57, Ships: 17, Forts: 29.

Expenses: 48 months on the road with an average expense of $1964 per month.

Mineral samples