Kaycee, WY to Reed Point, MT., Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone Nat'l Park

Reed Point Travel Blog

Little Big Horn

This leg of my trip took me north in Wyoming through Buffalo and Sheridan to I 90 where I turned west. I had the Big Horn Mountains to my west while going north with rolling hills, grass land and isolated ranches. Lots of pronghorn antelopes were in the fields grazing. Passed into Montana and made a stop at the Little Big Horn Battlefield where I spent a couple of hours.

Listened to a couple of presentations from Rangers about the Indian side of the battle along with an overview as to how it all took place. The museum at the visitors center had some interesting artifacts from the battle. The battle took place on rolling hills and has gravestones placed where both Indians and soldiers fell in the battle. Custer really screwed up there. Two hours were enough to see the site and back on the road I went.

Reed Point, MT
Continuing west, I passed through Billings, MT. where the city seemed to be full of oil refineries. Not very nice! Climbed into the higher country and found Reed Point, a little town of 96 people. The claim to fame here is that they say they are the sheep herding capital of the world. Go figure? The only place open on Main Street was the saloon where I went for dinner one night. It was a fun funky place with a bunch of the locals pounding down the booze. I was a little out of place with shorts, tee shirt and hawaiian slippers on.

While in Reed Point, I took one of the best drives I have had in a long time. Went east on the Interstate to Columbus then south for Beartooth Pass.

Beartooth Pass
What a great ride, the road goes down a valley for a while and then starts climbing with a ton of hairpin switchbacks as we climbed up the side of q mountain.Way up, I stopped at an overlook which was over 9000 feet and took some good pictures. Continuing on, the road eventually peaked at just a few feet less than 11,000 feet. There was a parking area there and the GPS said I was at 11,000 feet so I took a picture of it. The views were fantastic and the pictures I took do not do it justice. Continuing down the other side, I passed through a small western town and entered Yellowstone National Park. From this entrance in the north east corner of the park, you soon come to a several mile long meadow, (Lamar Valley) and there I saw several herds of Buffalo feeding, burping and passing gas.
Yellowstone
I stopped and spent about an hour watching them eat, play and sniff around. One herd decided to play us a visit and crossed the road behind me quite close to the cars parked there. One guy had a spotter scope and found a grizzly bear feeding on what we think was a buffalo. From Lamar valley, the road continued through Tower - Roosevelt and on to Mammoth Springs where I stopped and hiked all around the springs. A beautiful place and very interesting. After a few hours, I left the park and returned to Reed Point after traveling 300 miles. Beartooth and Yellowstone in one day. What a great day!

Summary: Elk RV parking: 53; Escapee RV Parks: 26; Public RV Parks: 47; National Parks: 61; Ships: 17; Forts: 29

Expenses: 49 months on the road with an average of $1964 per month.

Miles traveled: 2180