Kalispell, MT to Coeur d'Alene, ID., Kellogg gold mine, Wallace, Ft Sherman, County Fair

Coeur d'Alene Travel Blog

Coeur d'Alene, ID Elks Lodge

Took off and drove west into Idaho on Rt. 2 and then down Rt. 95 through Sandpoint to Coeur d’Alene. Found the Elks Lodge with no problem and got set up in the RV lot with no problem. They have parking for about 20 rigs with water and electric. There is a free dump about 3 miles down the road. The campground hosts were SKP’s and were very helpful. The Lodge had several dinners during my stay there and I was made welcome and met some nice folks.

One day, I drove down I 90 and visited the little town of Kellogg which is in the heart of the gold and silver mining area of Idaho. Found a mine that gives tours so in I went. The mine was very profitable but closed 100 years ago for reasons not known. The miners closed and hid the mine and it was only rediscovered when I 90 was constructed.

Kellogg Gold Mine
Inside were all of the tools and equipment used when it was actively being mined. It could be a good producing mine today but because it is so close to the Interstate, no permits can be issued to begin production again. I toured with a guide and found it very interesting. The colors of minerals leaching out of the sides of the rock tunnel were beautiful and represented many different ones. At one point quite a way into the mine, we came to a pool of water that went way down to flooded shafts below us. In the pool were very large trout that had been planted some time ago. The guide fed them some food and they all came up to feed. It was very interesting to see fish way in a mine. The tunnels had the equipment left by the miners 100 years ago and had not been disturbed or moved by the current mine tour operators. It was quite cool in the mine as the temperature remains constant year round in the 40’s.

From Kellogg, I continued east to the little mining town of Wallace where they have a small park with many mining artifacts on display.

Wallace, ID
In Wallace, I toured a very interesting mining museum where they have many exhibits of the history of mining in the area. There is still one mine open now and it represents the main employment here. This area in Idaho produced huge quantities of Gold and Silver in its prime and they claim it out produced any other gold or silver mines in the country.

I love county fairs and found the Spokane, WA. fair was open so off I went. It was a very typical one with interesting food and the FFA kids with all of their cattle, pigs, sheep, chickens and rabbits. Watched a logging show that was fun seeing ax throwing, log rolling in a large swimming pool, log sawing and chopping competition.

A friend I had met in Kalispell stopped by and volunteered to help me repair a broken part on the suspension of my trailer.

Broken suspension
He took me over to Spokane where we found the part and then did the repair in his driveway, He had all of the tools we needed to do the job and I really appreciated his help. He was a typical Elk assisting a brother.

Visited the North Idaho Museum in Coeur d’Alene and took a long walk along the shore of the lake to the site of Fort Sherman where there was very little to see as it was in the middle of the local college.

Found a local race track was open and I went to the Saturday night races there. The facility was very nice with high banked seating so every seat was a good one. The races were not bad with a 50 lap modified feature. The track is a ÂĽ mile banked asphalt which is a bit unusual as most of the short tracks I have seen are dirt/clay.

Summary: Elk RV Parking: 55; Escapee RV parks: 26; Public RV Parks: 48; National Parks: 63; Ships: 17; Forts: 30

Expenses: 50 months on the road with an average of $1965 per month