From Honolulu, HI to Summerdale, AL., Ft Gaines, FT Rucker, Daytona NASCAR.

Summerdale Travel Blog

Blue Angels

Well, here we are with another winter and I am holed up in my winter campground, the Escapees park in Summerdale, Alabama. Returned from a nice 2 week visit to my friends in Hawaii and will now settle in for a few months waiting for the weather to warm up.

We celebrated Christmas in the park with several good meals and parties. The main meal for Christmas was provided by the park with each table providing the veggies and other assorted foods and deserts. Quite a nice meal and the next day even better with a pot luck from all of the leftovers. we must have had about 100 at the main meal which made for a great social event.

The casino's in Biloxi are not too far from the campground and a small group of us made several trips over there to enjoy some good buffets and to contribute to the hurricane recovery expenses at the casinos.

Mobile Ferry
I also god caught up in watching tons of football games during my stay in Alabama. My Patriots did pretty well and came close to another Super Bowl.

A group of us decided to make the trip up to Fort Rucker to visit the Army Air Museum on base. It was a long drive and the exhibits were not the greatest I have seen at military museums. Most of the displays were of helicopters and they traced the history of army use of them through the years.

Took a ferry ride across Mobile bay and toured Fort Gaines which is the fort on the west side of the bay. Fort Morgan is on the east side and it's here that Admiral Farragut made the famous command....Damn the torpedos, Full speed ahead.

Ft Gaines
   Thus he won one of the more important naval battles of the Civil War. Fort Gaines is considered one of the best preserved masonary forts of the Civil War era. We had takem my truck over on the ferry and decided to drive up through Mobile and back home.

One of my friends from the Campground invited me to work at the Daytona NASCAR races in February and needless to say, I said YES. He was a high school classmate with the son of the founder of NASCAR and had the inside track on the opportunity. We drove over to Daytona in his motor home and were given a VIP parking place close to the track which was convienent. He grew up in Daytona and gave me the tour of all of the interesting places there including riding on the beach where the first races were held.

Fort Rucker, AL
We worked as ushers for 4 days covering all of the track events for the week. Most of the weather that week was very cold and raw and it was not very comfortable way high up in the stands. Being a NASCAR fan, this was an unbelievable experience that I really enjoyed but would not do again. The crowds and action on the track you would have to see to believe. On Monday after the races, we drove on back to Summerdale and with 2 drivers made it on one day.

The Mobile Museum had the traveling Pompeii Exhibit on display and I took a day to go over and see it. A very interesting exhibit including many artifacts and several of the body casts of people and a dog. Seeing it really gave me an understanding of what it was like. Such a sudden way to die.

In the spring, the local dirt race track opened and I attended several of the races there. Short track dirt racing sure can be exciting with lots of bumping and crashes. Made another visit to the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola which is always a good time.

Summary: Elk RV Parking: 48; Escapee Rv Parks: 25; Public RV Parks: 38; National Parks: 53; Ships: 12; Forts: 25

Expenses: 44 months on the road with an average expense of $1951 per month.

Ft Rucker, AL