Fredericksburg, TX to Livingston, TX., Texas Forestry Museum

Livingston Travel Blog

Time was getting close to Christmas so I packed up and moved to Livingston where I wanted to celebrate with my Escapee friends. The route went up through Auston and Houston into Livingston.

Livingston is the home base of the Escapee group and on Christmas eve we had quite a party with games, songs and a gift exchange. About 150 people attended and we had a great party. The next day we had a super Christmas dinner with the park supplying the turkey, dressing and gravy while each table preplanned the rest of the veggies, deserts and other assorted foods. There must have been 170 people at this great dinner. The next day, we had a pot luck dinner with all of the left over food. That was even better because we got to sample all of the food from the other tables.

I visited the Texas Forestry Museum in Lufkin during my stay in Livingston. It was interesting because it covered the history of logging in East Texas. As a native of New England and a long time resident where logging was a large industry and an important part of the economy for many years, I was surprised at how large it is in Texas. We often picture Texas as plains, cattle and oil but not logging. The forests seem to be very well managed with lush tree farms showing good management of this resource.

The social times, group meals and activities in Livingston reinforced my decision of joining the Escapee group. What a benefit for the full time RV traveler membership in this fine organization represents.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 30, Escapee Rv Parks: 15, Public RV Parks: 16, National Parks: 31, Major Ships: 7, Forts: 15

Expenses: Twenty months on the road with an average of $ 1814 per month.

photo by: hauteboy