Festus, MO to Oaktown, IN., Geo. Rogers Clark Nat'l Park, Terra Haute Midget Race

Oaktown Travel Blog

George Rogers Clark Memorial

On my way out of the Elks Lodge in Festus, I was going down a steep hill and noticed my brake pedal going down to the floor. OH S***, I pumped the brakes and was able to stop before I crashed into another car. Down hill with 12,000 lbs behind me made this quite a hairy situation. I immediately drove very carefully over to a Dodge Dealership and got a new master cylinder installed. By noon I was all set and started off for Oaktown.

The ride to Oaktown was on route 50, a secondary 2 lane road which was great. Traveling through corn and soybean fields and small towns with one stop sign was very interesting. Traffic was so light that in places I saw more women mowing their lawns on riding mowers than cars on the road. All of the homes sit well back from the road and had huge well kept lawns larger than several football fields.

George Rogers Clark
No trashy houses with back yards loaded with junk cars in this part of the country. Oaktown is in southeast IN between treea Haute and Vincennes.

While I was in Oaktown, I needed a haircut and asked around for directions. They suggested I go over to Freelandville where there was a good barber. Well that was quite an experience as the road was a narrow two lane which ran through corn fields. The corn was so high that on curves you could not see what was coming at you. " The corn was as high as an elephants eye." The town had a population of 800 people and I got the haircut which was not too bad. I was hungry and asked where I could get something to eat and was directed to a small restaurant across the street. Wow, what a place, grungy and full of farmers in their muddy boots and clothes all talking about the crops, plowing and machinery.

Clark Memorial
" How many tons of watermelons did you collect this morning Marvin?" Can you imagine the looks I got strolling in dressed in shorts, polo shirt and Hawaiian slippers, (flip flops)? Why would this dude come into this little town off of the beaten track to get something to eat?

I drove up to Vincennes, Il and visited the George Rogers Clark National Historic Park. He was the brother of the Clark that was the explorer on the Lewis and Clark expedition. George was given credit for defeating the British in 1778-1779 in the west. Using Kentucky militia, French and Indians he defeated the British and this took off the pressure the British were giving us from the west during the Revolutionary War.

Being a race car fan, I found some races scheduled up in Terra Haute and saw some great midget car races. A one mile dirt track with 36 midget cars driving around at over 100 MPH. Lots of crashes with no one hurt. A very enjoyable evening.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 36, Escapee RV Parks: 21, Public RV Parks: 26, National Parks: 40, Ships: 9, Forts: 17

Expenses: After 28 months on the road, the average is $ 1874 per month.

Oaktown