FRom; Jensen, UT., To Moab, UT

Moab Travel Blog

OK RV Park, Moab, UT

On the 28th, I left the Outlaw RV Park in Jensen, UT., and went east on Rt. 40 into Dinosaur Colorado where I turned south on Rt. 64 south and then at Rangely, CO., on to Rt. 139 south. Little did I realize that I was driving into one of the hardest passes I have encountered in my travels. This road was very rural and had little traffic on it. I soon found myself facing Douglas Pass and was shocked at the steepness of the twisty winding road. Even with the power upgrades on my strong Cummins diesel, I had to shift down to 2nd gear and was climbing at 25 mph. Without a doubt it was an 8 or 9% grade and had several sharp switchbacks. Finally I reached the top of the grade at 8268 feet with a hot engine and transmission. The ride down was also hairy as I don’t have a Jake brake on my truck and the trailer brakes were in bad shape. Kept in 2nd at about 20 mph trying not to burn up my brakes on the truck.

OK RV Park, Moab, UT
Boy, what a relief when I finally got down to the flat land and soon was on I 70 going west back into Utah.

I exited on to Rt. 128 south which would soon get me into Moab, UT. This road descends off of the plateau and soon enters a beautiful drive along the Colorado River all the way to Moab. For about 25 miles following the river you have high red cliffs on both sides and I would consider it one of the most scenic drives in the country. Because I was towing my rig, I could not stop but know that I would return to take my time and really explore it.

Got to Moab and found the OK RV Park with no problems as I had stayed there a few years before.

OK RV Park, Moab, UT
The park was full and I had to get on a waiting list to get a spot. Got lucky, they found me a space and I settled in for a two week stay. Most of my neighbors had big expensive motor homes and they all seemed to be towing Jeeps with some highly modified for serious off road travel. There I was with my long wheelbase dual wheel fat Dodge 4x4 wanting to go where they were going and knowing it was impossible. Well, I would just have to find trails that would take my big rig without getting into trouble.

Summary:

Elk Lodge RV Parks: 55; Escapee Parks: 26; Public RV Parks: 53; National Parks: 65; Ships: 17; Forts: 30

Expenses: After 51 months on the road expenses are $1969/month

Sunset, Moab, UT
Sunset, Moab, UT
Douglas Pass on the way to Moab
Douglas Pass on the way to Moab
Douglas Pass on the way to Moab.
…
Douglas Pass on the way to Moab. …
Movie Museum