Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park

Westminster Travel Blog

Elk Herd Estes Park, CO

After a recent storm that went through the area, all of the high mountains behind me to the west were snow covered and I decided to take a drive up to see them closer. From Wwstminster, I drove up through Boulder and into Estes Park. This small town sits right at the entrance of the Rocky Mountain National Park. Driving into the town, I passed the town park and noticed quite a crowd had gathered watching a herd of Elk who had gathered in the park beside a pond. I parked and joined the crowd and was within 10 feet of these beautiful animals. It was interesting to watch the head bull sniffing around the many females and bugling from time to time. When any of the other males showed any interest in the girls, he would give them the evil eye and they would either leave the area immediately or he would just strut towards them and they would take the hint and leave.

Elk Herd Estes Park, CO
Boy, he sure was the boss of the herd. There must have been 50-75 elk there, mostly females and smaller kids.

From there I entered the Rocky Mountain National Park and found out that the road was closed due to snow but was open up to 10,000 feet. Up I went into the snowy mountains and the views were beautiful. At the end of the road where it was blocked off, I stopped and checked it out. I noticed how high I was and really puffed a bit walking back to my truck. On the return ride, I decided to take another route back which had 14,000 feet mountains to my right. Continuing south, I finally came to the old mining camp of Black Hawk which was loaded with small casinos. needless to say I stopped and made a small contribution to the local economy. The road soon entered a beautiful canyon with high craggy rock walls on both sides. The creek that ran beside the road was loaded with gold way back then and resulted in the establishment of Black Hawk.. Nice day with beautiful sights.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 56; Escapee Parks: 26; Public Parks: 53; National Parks: 69; Ships: 17; Forts: 30

Expenses: 51 months on the road with an average of $1969/month.

Westminster