Ephrata, PA to Raccoon Valley, TN., Oak Ridge, TN Museum of Aviation

Knoxville Travel Blog

Tenn. Air Museum

I was so mad at that happened in Ephrata, I changed my plans and decided to just move on and save the Pennsylvania Dutch Country for another time. Packed up and started out due south for the Escapee RV Park in Raccoon Valley Tennessee. This nice little park is about 20 miles north of Knoxville.

In the 2 days since I left Taunton, MA I had driven over 1100 miles and was in the drivers seat over 21 hours. My fuel bill was $265.00. Never again will I do such a long leg without a good break. Yeah, I know I have said that before!

I revisited the museum in Oak Ridge, TN where most of the work was done during WW2 on the development of the atomic bomb. While in the museum, I asked an elderly lady working there if there were any long term health problems with the employees in the 1940's.

Tenn. Air Museum
Her answer was interesting in as much as her husband was a physician then and that the smokers had a higher incident of cancer later in life than the non smokers. Little was known then about the dangers they were exposed to while working with uranium.

Another side trip was over to Sevierville where I toured the Tennessee Museum of Aviation. A nice facility, small but well put together. They have 2 beautiful     P 47's on display both of which are in flying condition. This plane was called the JUG and was the largest fighter built in WW2. They also had 3 Russian fighters on display.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 38, Escapee Parks: 22, Public RV Parks: 29, National Parks: 42, Major Ships: 9, Forts: 17

Expenses: 30 months on the road with an average of $ 1908 per month.

tennessee Air Museum