Downey, ID to Jensen, UT., Dinosaur National Park, Indian Petroglyphs

Vernal Travel Blog

Outlaw RV Park

On the 26th I was up early and found it to be 29 degrees outside. My waterline was clogged with ice and it took some work to get it cleared so I could take my shower. Packed up and got on the road by 8:45 am and drove down I 15.  Passing through Brigham City, I saw the Great Salt Lake along the side of the interstate for quite a few miles. Took a cutoff at Ogden which was north of Salt Lake City which went through the Wasatch Mountains and connected to Rt. 40. This ride on 40 going east was very pretty and traveled through some lovely canyons. I climbed up to a high plateau and into Duchesne where I fueled up. The truck pump shut off at $75.00 and when I reset it to finish fueling, the nozzle was still open and I gushed diesel all over the side of my truck as well as a good splash on me and my shoes.

Dinosaur Nat'l Park
I stunk of fuel the rest of the day. From Duchesne, I continued to Vernal which is a large town/city. Fifteen miles further east, I finally found the Outlaw Trail campground, pulled in and no one was there to check me in. Called and talked the lady into letting me park in a space. Drive in thank God. What a dump, it was like a little Tijuana loaded with old dumpy rigs parked very close together. Dogs barking and young men walking around the park all on cell phones. Made me nervous as some were really checking me and my rig out. They have dropped Passport America Camping Discounts and she said the charge would be about $21.00. Needless to say, I won’t stay very long here.  Flies all over the place and I must have killed 20 or more. Had the same problem in Downata Park.
Dinosaur NP

I drove across the street from the park and visited Dinosaur National Monument. The large Visitor’s Center which was built right into the cliff side was closed because the building was in danger of falling down. As a result they have built a small temporary center with some displays of the stuff they have dug out of the cliffs. Very disappointing as I was looking forward to seeing the cliff. From there, I took a long 4x4 ride into the park and which ended at Josie Morris’s cabin where I stopped and looked around. Continued on a dirt road for a few more miles into BLM land and finally turned around and backtracked around the edge of the park to the Island Park Road where I went all the way to the end at the Green River. Along this drive I stopped and hiked up a cliff to see the Indian Petroglyphs. They were really great to get up close and to see them. Looped back into Vernal, hit the Wal-Mart and then came home. A long and fun day.

Summary: Elk lodge RV parks: 55; Escapee Rv Parks: 26; Public Rv parks: 52; National Parks: 65; Ships: 17; Forts: 30.

Expenses: 50 months on the road with an average of $1965 per month.

Dinosaur Natl Park