Douglasville, GA to Summerdale, AL., Blue Angels, Mobile museum (Our Body)

Summerdale Travel Blog

Blue Angels

Got the frame welded up on the rig and set off for the Escapee Park in Summerdale, AL., on 12/2/07, where I plan to spend the winter. Guess you could call me a "Snowbird", escaping the cold of the winter in a spot 12 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

On the way down to Summerdale, I discovered a flat on one tire on the trailer and had AAA change it. Sure do eat up tires. Fortunately it was a Goodyear and I got a replacement under warranty.

The balance of December was spent working on assorted maintance projects, visiting with friends in the park, occasional visits to the casinos in Biloxi and generally just relaxing. Christmas at the park is a great time with several wonderful parties and a super Christmas dinner where the park provides the main meat (ham and turkey) and the balance of each table brings all of the other fixings.

Dixie Bar, Ft Morgan
The next day, we come together again and have a pot luck eating all of the leftovers. We had about 240 folks for the dinner and parties. The park has a cook that provides 2 dinners a week along with breakfast on saturday and bagels on Sunday. The meals are very good and only cost $5.00 to $6.00.

The weather down here in southern Alabama during the winter runs to freezing (mid 20's ), to tee and shorts within a day or two and January ran to the cold side with several  severe storms with tornado warnings associated with some.

February was a sad month with my Patriots losing the Super Bowl to the NY Giants. They had a great season at 18-1 but unfortunately the one loss was the big one. We had a fun Mardi Gras party at the park and then a real funky parade the next day where I marched in the color guard.

Fishing Alabama Point
The floats were mainly golf carts all decorated and everyone really got into the celebration. On Fat Tuesday, we had another great dinner party with over 200 attending.

About 25 miles up the road from the park, there is a very nice 3/10 high bank clay stock car track and in February, they opened with a big racing evening. Several of us drove up and saw some super racing with winged sprint cars from all over the south. Also that night were open wheel modified and storm crate cars. During the winter, we attended several more races at this track and if the winds were wrong, came home covered with red clay dust. One night was so bad that after a shower I ruined a towel just wiping down. The dust was still there and the red rubbed off on a light colored towel and never came out in the washing machine.

Very cold in Alabama

Mobile, AL has a nice museum/Explorium that had a traveling exhibit, "Our Body' that I visited. It is a display of human bodies that were plasticized. Each system of the body was shown such as bones, blood system, nervous system etc. It was very interesting and moving. My impression was if you did not believe in God before you visited it, you would when leaving. Wow!

Pensacola Naval Air Station is close so I visit the museum every time I am in Summerdale. It is also the home of the Blue Angels and they have open practice flights every Tuesday and Wednesday starting in March when the air show season starts so I got up early and drove over to see one of the practice flights. Always great to see.

When I arrived in Alabama, I discovered the awning on my rig had started to separate where it attaches to the roof.

Alabama Point, Fishing partner
The stiches were letting go. Spent quite a bit of time getting quotes on fixing it vs replacing and found that it made more sense to simply get a new one installed. thanks to good insurance, the replacement went well and at no cost to me.

During my travels in the Dakotas, I had my front windshield cracked and finally decided to get it fixed. had a guy come over and the replacement went well. He was an avid fisherman and during our discussion, I got the fishing bug. Went out and got a license for Alabama salt water and started hitting several of the fishing spots in the Gulf as well as Mobile bay. Spent many days enjoying the fresh air but had very little luck. Guess thats why it is called fishing not catching.

On May 4, 2008, it was time to start heading north and I got all packed up and hit the road. My winter in Summerdale was great and I plan to return next winter al well.

Summary:

Elk Lodge parking, 59; Escapee Rv parks, 27; Public Rv parks, 59; National Parks, 70; Major ships, 17; Forts, 30.

Expenses: 58 months on the road with an average of $1983/month