Branson, MO to Festus, MO., St Louis Arch, Train Museum, Budwiser Tour

Festus Travel Blog

St Louis

After a week in Branson, I moved on to Festus, Missouri and stayed in one of the most beautiful Elk Lodges I have seen so far. They had purchased an old resort which included a lake, large swimming pool, pavilion, many picnic areas and even some cabins that they said used to be cribs for a group of working ladies.

Festus is about 30 miles south of St Louis and I visited several of the attractions in the area.

The St Louis Arch which is the "Gateway to the West" is a very impressive sight to see. All stainless steel, hollow with a tram in the legs taking people up to the top. I passed on that because of the long wait and the fact I had taken the ride up in the 1970's, when in St Louis on business.

Budweiser
They have a museum under the arch which was interesting to visit. It is located right on the Mississippi River. On the River were several casinos and I made the appropriate donation to them.

St Louis has one of the best train museums I have ever seen. I'll bet that it is the largest collection of old retired trains in the country. I had a great time seeing and climbing all over them. Having worked on a steam train (NH Cog Railway), when I was young made this visit special to me. Don't miss this one.

I visited the Budwiser plant in St Louis which is huge. The tour given there takes you to many different places within the facility and was quite interesting. The millions of cans and bottles produced every day makes it easy to see why Buswiser is the number one beer sold in America. A highlight was to see the Bud horses. They live in a beautiful spotless barn which was open for touring.

Being a NASCAR fan, I found out that one of my favorate drivers home track was in Pevely, MO close to the RV park so I went there to see the Saturday night races. Unfortunately a storm front came through and after some hot laps by each of the different classes they cancelled the evening races,. I sure missed a good night of racing.

Summary: Elk RV Parking: 36; Escapee RV Parks: 21; Public Rv Parks: 25; national Parks: 39; Ships 9; Forts: 17.

Expenses: 28 months on the road with an average od $1874/month.

Budweiser Horses