From Bethlehem, NH to Taunton, MA. Boston, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard

Taunton Travel Blog

Old State House, Boston

After a wonderful time in NH., it was time to get on down the road and back to my roots. I parked at the Elks Lodge in Taunton, MA. This is a neighboring town to my "home town" of Middleboro where I was born and lived until I married after college. The Elks in Middleboro did not have RV facilities so I elected to stay in Taunton only 15 miles away. My stay here lasted almost 2 months so I will try to summarize the highlights of my stay.

My home town had only 10,000 people and I have kept in touch with a couple of my childhood friends. One of which goes back to before we could walk. Boy, that's a long time! We got together many times during my stay and enjoyed walking down memory lane. While I camped there, I made many trips down to the Cape Cod Canal and fished for the elusive Striped Bass.

Cape Cod Canal Threw it back...undersized
I caught quite a few but none that met the state limit of 28 inches. Tryed to streach out a few but they just did not make it.

Made several trips back to Boston where I went to college and worked for a number of years after. I elected to take the train in to the city because of parking problems and the size of my dually in the narrow streets. Remember, Boston streets are laid out on the old cow paths of the 1600's. The Big Dig still has the city all messed up with construction so the train was a good alternative. Revisited many of the old haunts I used to see in the old days. Followed the Freedom Trail around the city which brings you to many of the historical sites there. Did a first for me and took the National Park boat out to Georges Island and spent the day visiting Fort Warren.

Fort Warren Boston Harbor
A very interesting spot to see as it is quite a way out of the harbor. The Park Service has done a great job in restoring this old fort. It is in  better shape than most of the other forts I have seen. national Parks visited in Boston include: Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall and Boston Harbor Islands.

One of the main reasons I returned to my home town was to attend my 50th high school reunion. I did and had a great time reconnecting with people I grew up with and had not seen for 50 years. I was able to recognize about 50 percent of the folks but had to squint to read the nameplate on the other 50 percent. The best part was connecting with the girl I took to our senior prom. Found out she was widowed and we agreed to keep in touch.

My sister was having a short vacation on Martha's Vineyard while I was close so I took the ferry over and visited with her for the day.

My fishing set up
She gave me the tour of the island and we had dinner with her son who lives there. The island is beautiful but extremly expensive to live on.

Took a week and moved to Scusset State park right on the banks of the Cape Cod Canal and fished every day. I was in a great spot and saw loads of ships transit the canal. Everything from large cruise liners to small fishing boats. Returned to Taunton packed up and hit the road after 2 months. What a wonderful time back home again.

Summary: Elk Lodges: 46; Escapee Rv Parks: 25; Public RV Parks: 34; National Parks: 52; Ships: 10; Forts: 21.

Expenses: 40 months on the road with an average of $1960 per month.

Threw it back...un…
Cape Cod Canal Threw it back...u…
cape Cod Canal
cape Cod Canal
Boston
Boston
Fort Warren
Boat to Georges Island, Boston Har…
Boat to Georges Island, Boston Ha…
Ferry to Marthas Vineyard