Albuquerque, NM to Pahrump, NV., Las Vegas, Death Valley, Area 51, Hoover Dam Desert race

Pahrump Travel Blog

Pahrump RV Park

On the last day of March which was my one year anniversary of my road trip, I continued west. My plan was open ended with a planned overnight stop somewhere. Crested the Continental Divide at over 8000 feet and arrived in Kingman, AZ, early in the afternoon. I then dacided to continue on to Las Vegas. This was a big mistake because I turned north and that route had me crossing Boulder Dam. Because of heightened security, I was stopped and pulled over for a search of my rig. I passed and then found that the road crossing the dam was very steep going down as well as up after crossing over. It was a bit of a challenge for my old Ford but I made it and hit Las Vegas at dusk. I knew Pahrump was only 60 miles more so I continued and arrived at the Escapees Park in the dark after a days run of 625 miles.

Sunset, Pahrump, NV
Never again will I travel that far in one day. I was pooped.

I drove 2625 miles in March and my expenses reflected the fuel burned by driving this much.  I stayed here in Pahrump for almost 6 weeks and have much to report so I will try to keep it brief.

During my stay here, I drive down to Las Vegas several times. What an exciting, gaudy city it is. My budget kept me from going crazy in the casino's but just visiting them was fun. The evening light show on Fremont Street was fantastic and something that a visitor has to put on the must see. Millions of lights with a high powered sound system made viewing it a high point.

Death Valley is close to Pahrump and I took a day to go and explore it. What beauty. The desert in the spring is quite lovely with moderate tempatures and low winds.

Bottle House Rhyolite
The national Park Service had a good Visitors Center that centers around a nice museum where you can get a good history of the valley and excellent maps so that you don't get lost. I visited the old Borax works where they used to mine and process borax. remember Death Valley Days on TV? Found an old gold mine and poked around it for a while. There were many historical things to see in the valley. On the way out of the valley, I stopped and visited Rhyolite an old ghost town. There, I saw a 2 room building with the exterior walls made from bottles cemented into them. A volunteer guide at the house was a grizzled old bearded man who came to Rhyolite as a young man and never left. He is the sole remaining person living there and his stories about living there when it had a population of several thousand were  very interesting.
Rachel NV

I have been interested in Area 51 which is just over the mountains from Pahrump and decided to take a drive around it. The highway on the east side is named the Extraterrestrial highway and has the little town of Rachel where I had a burger at the L'Alien Inn. The best of our future airplanes are tested here and I had hoped to see one but no luck. Five hundred miles of high desert, brush and dust with almost no road traffic made the ride a long and somewhat boring trip.

At the end of April, I saw a great off road race. 250 miles through the desert with some of the vehicles costing upwards of one half a million dollars. It started and finished in Pahrump and went way out in the desert on very rough roads and trails. Being one of the highest paying races of this type brought out the very best vehicles and drivers.

Hoover Dam
What a great day watching it.

I went back to Hoover dam and took the tour inside the dam. What a massive structure and the tour covered the turbine room where they generate electricity. Put this on your must see list.

On a return visit to Death Valley, I visited Scottys Castle which is located on the north edge of the valley. It was built in the 1920's and is preserved and kept up by the National Park Service. A tour of  the Castle given by a park ranger was very interesting.

Summary: Escapee Parks: 8, Elk Lodges: 25, Public RV Parks: 11, National Parks: 25, Major Ships: 5, Forts: 15

Expenses: 13 months traveling with an average cost per month of $1882