The greater mass: a reason to be thankful

California Travel Blog

Somewhere in the Pacific, not Cali.

In a perfect attempt to dream of an oasis, I usually locate myself on hot slab of rock on the coast.  Twenty feet away, the Pacific Ocean, my favorite of all four; something about it entices me.  It is the largest and deepest.  On my right side, water crashes against a cliff face. I watch as the water spews upward and across a pile of boulders, leaving tide pools in its wake.   A constant notion, a battle between liquid and solid states and what seems to be a wining affair for the liquid side.   I am amazed as the reason why? As though it wants more space, yet it is contained, something contains it; this is the way it has been for over millions, if not billions of years.   The last couple of weekends have been great, sunny and breezy with a temperature reaching the mid eighties.

Not by choice! :(
  As I reach the beach on a Saturday morning, I began to notice a change in the parking lot.  Cars; people looking for parking in a desperate attempt to reach the beach.   I, like the rest of them, began to get desperate as parking space non existence anymore.

A full parking lot and no space for parking take a toll on the drivers, all of us. Park officers opened an unpaved open space to accommodate the excess of visitors. I finally get a turn and quickly began to pull out my surfboard which is stained from the melting wax from the hot weather.   I ran to the beach with my board, in hope of good waves to go with the weather, but to my dismay, no waves, one or two every five minutes.  Not that I was not expecting head high or double over head, I knew it was going to be small but before I left home, I broke my routine, I didn't check for the report.
Sadly...
   It was a risk, but with the weather we were having, it was a win-win situation.

I get the first glimpse of the set, there is something ride able, and while holding my board, sweating in my wetsuit I stood there for about eight minutes looking for an already crowed spot.  I look around and there is people everywhere, sitting, sun bathing, I am completely mesmerized. But then I realize, it's human nature to seek out bodies of water in hope of refreshment, maybe? Could it be something else? I can think of a million reasons, none that I would care for as I already know my reasons.   After I paddle out, I looked out back at the beach, a sea of people. With time at my hands I began to realize and wonder why people come.  I guess, if you pull out a map of the world's population, we can see that the bulk of humanity today lives near water. We live along coastlines, around the rims of bays, up the course of rivers and streams, and on islands. We also vacation at the beach and find solace fishing on a lake. Nothing makes small children happier than the chance to splash through puddles.    Personally, I have always lived within 30 minutes from the beach any where I have traveled I tend to stay near the ocean coast line.  If you check the places I have visited you can see my map and tell from that.

But why, I wondered further, and more surprising, this human penchant for water makes evolutionary sense. We need drinking water to live, but we have also benefited from what's swimming under the waves. While floating out there, I hypothesized the following: when humans separated from apes and emerged from the forests in Africa, did they stay close to rivers and beaches? Such idea could lead to believe that humans started eating fish, clams and crabs. A diet packed with omega-3 fatty acids, essential fatty acids and as we know or heard of, help promote brain growth, don't quote, but I think I read this somewhere.

Back to our days, I thought, with such a fast life we live in, rat race, smog, wars, economy, I find that, in fact I have always found that being near the ocean is somewhat relaxing to me.  Just the thought of knowing the ocean is near.   The color blue is pleasant; water has no color, we know that, but the longer wavelength of the color blue, in the color spectrum, plays a role in "moodiness."   Fact: there would be no earth if there was no ocean, it's really one big mass of water, a mass that sustain us all.

For now, there are no surf able waves but I am happy about the weather.  I will however take some time off work and make the trip down south.  And so the adventure begins, it is summer again in Epic California.