Weekend trip to Lisbon.

Lisbon Travel Blog

Praca do Comercio

I often do crazy weekend trips and my trip to Lisbon was no exception.

On Friday November 30, I headed out to Newark on Northwest and then caught a TAP Air Portugal Airbus 330 to Lisbon.   I arrived into Lisbon at 5:30 am and within 30 minutes, I was on bus route 44 to downtown.  The cost was 1.35 Euro.  There is an airport express bus #91 but it does not start operating until 7:45 am.   I walked all around the area near Praca do Comercio and Rua Augusta.  I also walked up to Castelo Sao Jorge, which was a rough hike up hills and steps!   At around 9 am, I took tram 15 to Belem so I could see the Torre de Belem.  It was about a five minute walk from the Centro Cultural Belem stop to the Torre.

Torre de Belem
   From there, I walked along the banks of the Tagus River to the Discoveries monument.   I walked from there to the Pasteis de Belem shop which is located right on tram route 15 near the Mosteiro Jeronimos stop.  I had my pasteis and coffee and then returned to Praca do Comercio.   From there I walked up Rua Augusta to the Elevador Santa Justa for some views of the city.   I spent the rest of the day walking around this whole area, including Rossio Square.    I also took a bus over to the area near Oriente Station.

In the evening, I went to LIS Airport for my flight to Amsterdam.    I stayed out all night in Amsterdam and then went to Schiphol Airport for the Northwest flight to Detroit.   I arrived back in Indianapolis on Sunday afternoon.

I really liked Lisbon and I think it may be my new favorite city in Europe.   The people are friendly, the food is good, and the climate is perfect.

bristolmoomin says:
A good place to spend the weekend. It's too on my list, should of gone last year, but ended up in Berlin instead :)
Posted on: Aug 03, 2010
nathanphil says:
Great photos...
Posted on: Nov 17, 2009
hummingbird50 says:
Gotta love the travel. :)
Posted on: Mar 01, 2008