Birthday party at the hogar

La Paz Travel Blog

Every three months there is a birthday lunch at the orphanage for all the girls who have had a birthday in that time.  For obvious reasons, it´s not practical or possible to celebrate the birthdays of all the 120 girls on each of their days.  So they combine them and have a big lunch and bake five or six huge cakes and have a small celebration.  I felt bad that the girls wouldn´t get a present.  It´s not in the budget of the foundation to be able to do that, and it made me sad but there wasn´t much I could do.  It´s days like this when I realize just how little they have.  But on the other hand, most of the time they seem fairly happy and don´t complain about their lot in life.  That´s what I love about them so much, that they have a good spirit.  They enjoy what little they have and are given, even though to us it seems to be pitifully little.

So the party was nice and I took a bunch of pictures and videos.  Some of the girls put on a dance performance that was really cute, especially the littlest ones.  I´ll try to upload the videos when I can.  The lunch was tasty and the cakes delicious!
La Paz