A Beautiful Day in Paradise - Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Little San Salvador Travel Blog

That little dark spot in the sky is not a bug on my camera lense. :) Its Dave as he enjoyed parasailing during this stop on Holland America's private island, Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.

View photos from today.

Though we didn't have an excursion scheduled this morning, we awoke early enough to enjoy the gentle awakening by the sun on what promises to be a beautiful day in paradise.

Our first breakfast in the Lido Restaurant reminded us of one of the many "simple" culinary pleasures we've come to enjoy while on a cruise ship... Texas Toast sized French toast! And of course, for me, no breakfast in the paradise is complete without the tropics melon mix.

Today we visited Half Moon Cay, otherwise known as Little San Salvador Island, Bahamas. This is my third visit to Holland America's private island so my only objective today, besides enjoying sunshine, sandals, sunscreen and sand, was to work on a web development project. I know, I know. It’s vacation! This is true and believe me, I enjoyed every minute of "work" on the beach. I just wish I had remembered to have someone take a picture of me working. Let's face it, if you HAVE to work on vacation, why not look like a beach bum in the process? J

We had originally planned to meet Ronye and Joyce in the gym onboard the ship each morning to work out, but today they had scheduled an early excursion for parasailing. Neither had been before and both were looking forward to the experience. Talking with them yesterday inspired Dave to check out parasailing to see if they might be able to accommodate him.

After a leisurely breakfast we wandered toward the gangway with James to take the tender ashore. Dave was pleased to find at the information desk on the island that there was room for him to participate in parasailing at 1:30. I chose not to go parasailing this time as I had been several years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It reminded me of how the birds must feel... floating through the air with the ground noise mostly a distant memory. I really was tempted to go. But since work has been calling my name ever since I left Chicago, I decided to be responsible and opt out of this adventure.

Can you believe we were heading for MORE food? The BBQ lunch today was provided on the island by the cruise line. After that big breakfast, all I had room for was salad and a small piece of grilled chicken.

After lunch Dave set out to meet his group for parasailing. James wandered the island a bit and I settled into a chaise lounge with my computer in tow and camera handy for pictures of Dave's parasailing adventure. I knew he was going to love it.

Shortly after Dave's group began heading back to the island, storm clouds started to gather. While I didn't accomplish as much as I had hoped - sun is a distracting thing sometimes! - I was not displeased. It had been a relaxing day thus far.

James and I met Dave. I'd promised him he'd not get wet but I forgot about the spray from the speed boat! He was pretty soaked, but very happy and excited. He truly enjoyed his parasailing experience and has plans to go again someday.

We made our way back to the tender and were impressed with the striking variations of blue between the sky and the water.

Dinner was another delightful time with conversation with great friends and awesome food. Afterward, Dave and I caught the last few numbers of the wonderful Intermezzo String Quartet in the Explorer's Lounge. They are truly not to be missed. Hopefully we'll be able to catch their entire set before the week is out. But there's just so much to do!

We joined Ronye near the end of the show in the theatre, Grand Tour. This is a Broadway style show with a European theme. What we saw was quite good. I can't imagine learning how to dance ON HEELS aboard a ship though. :)

Once the show ended, we wandered over to the Northern Lights for the 50s & 60s Sock Hop but didn't stay long.

All too soon this day was over. Ah, but there are five more glorious days to enjoy!