Road Trip - South - Exmouth to Perth & Rottnest

Exmouth Travel Blog

Gooday!

Well after exploring Exmouth and the Ningaloo Reef it was time to head back down south. We set off from Exmouth on Friday 8th and had planned to stop in Carnavon for the night but when we got there we decided to carry on down to Kalbarri instead, making our total journey that day about 8 hours long and 850km!! The driving doesn't seem that bad though (well not for me anyway with Ads doing all the driving) as you are able to do the speed limit all the way. Anyway to keep Adam from falling asleep I entertained him by singing along to one of the 2 CD's we bought for the journey (Bon Jovi - Crossroads & Micheal Jackson No.1's). There was also the 'ID the roadkill' game which is always fun yet gruesome.
.. North of Gereldton you probably only see 1 or 2 other vehicles each hour and its really lovely cos the drivers all wave to each other! Imagine that in England!!!

So, we arrived in Kalbarri late on Friday evening and loved it so much that we stayed 2 nights there. Kalbarri is where the Murchison river meets the sea and the caravan park was opposite the beach and we had a lovely view! We started off the next day with a spot of pelican feeding (one of Kalbarri's famous attractions) then went and explored the Kalbarri national park. There are wonderful views of gorges and a rock formation which arches over so the space in between is called 'Natures window' as you get a lovely view of the gorge through it. We didn't stay very long there though as it was 45 degrees in the shade!!! But luckily I had my sensible Ozzie hat which protected me from the sun a bit!  Streeewth !!

The next day we set off down to Jurien Bay.
me playing with the sealions
We decided to stay in Jurien again because we liked it so much when we stayed there on the way up. And also because it has the bouncing pillow! On Monday we went on a sea lion tour to an island just off shore and we got to swim with them! It was one of the best things we have ever done! They are so playful and curious and as soon as we got in the water we could see them lolluping down the beach and into the water to come and play with us! There was about 8 of us in the tour and when the sea lions turned up I really couldn't tell who was what as there were so many flippers in the water! The tour guides don't even feed the sealions - they just really want to come and play and they reminded us of big puppy dogs! There were a couple of pups too which weren't botherd by us at all! It was ace!

Anyway we didn't realise how tiring it would be so ended up staying in Jurien another night before doing anymore driving.

The next morning we set off back to Perth. On the way we stopped off at the Stromatolites near Cervantes to take a picture for Sam (wow she's a geek). These are rocklike organisms that are identical to organisms which existed 3,500 million years ago!! So basically the oldest lifeforms on earth!!! Wow! I must say though that they do just look like rocks... we tried to find some sort of souvenir to bring back but they didn't seem to have much in the way of cuddly stromatolites!!! So I got Ads an Echidna instead. He is called Kev.

Our next stop that day was Yanchep national park. There is a nice lake there called Loch McNess (!) and some lovely caves etc but the main reason we stopped there was to see the Kolalas!!! They are really cute and really dosile during the day so weren't really up to much.
Freemantle Prison
They are alot bigger than I thought they would be though!

We decided to stay in Freemantle for a few nights before taking Fluff back, so we carried on south via my Dad's old house on Scarborough beach road. I must say that the Scarborough beach here, and Brighton beach for that matter, are much nicer than in England!!!

The next day we spent wondering around Freemantle and we visited Freemantle prison too, then spent the day after on South beach. And because it was valantines day we treated ourselves to fish and chips by the sea front! How romantic!

Friday morning was very sad. We took Fluff back to the hire shop and said a tearful goodbye. But all sadness was forgotten half an hour later when we met up with our friends Conor and Louise to spend the day with them on Rottnest Island.
that helmet is shocking
We took the train (back) to Freemantle then hopped on the Rottnest express. It takes about half an hour to get over there and when we did we hired some bikes to cycle around (some) of the island! It was so much fun! There are loads of little beaches and coves to explore and we settled down on one of these and did some snorkelling. Luckily it was cloudy so we didn't get too hot cycling around. We searched all day for Quokkas and then when we got to the pub at the end of the day one was under our table!!!! Typical!

After our lovely day on Rottnest it was time to go back to our hostel in Perth. We were so looking forward to sleeping in an actual bed in an actual room after being in the van for over two weeks! This morning we've had a nice lie in and are looking forward to a night out tonight with Conor and Louise and some of their friends who live in Perth.

Bye for now!

Pelicans at Kalbarri
Pelicans at Kalbarri
The ships crew
The ships crew
how cheap !!  $2.60 !!  yees !!
how cheap !! $2.60 !! yees !!
he he
he he
our anti mozzy invention
our anti mozzy invention
Stromatolites - for Sam
Stromatolites - for Sam
Scarbrough Beach: like the one at …
Scarbrough Beach: like the one at…
Brighton Beach