Some of the outer temples

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Siem Reap downtown

The morning brought me to downtown Siem Reap to mail a few postcards and take in the town before we set again or the temples.  Compared to Phnom Penh, Siem Reap to me was cleaner and more readily walkable.  There was also a certain peace that does not exist in HCM or Phnom Penh.

Va took us to some of the outer temples including Banteay Srei and Kbal Spean.  Banteay was nice, but definitly having the tourist overload.  The temple was very well preserved and the artwork was of the least eroded I have seen.  Kbal Spean was a bit further out and coupled with a 1500 m hike to the waterfal and river artwork.  No temple here, only artwork lining a river bed.

On the drive in and out, the poverty of Cambodia could be witnessed.

Monks walking the road
  Dilapidated homes, sponser banners hanging from other houses, dirt roads barely traveled...

But here, some of the nicest people I have met were calling it home.  Generous women bringing us fruit, as we stopped to put petrol in the motorbike and children and adults waving and screaming hello.  Everyone wanted their picture taken and no one begged for money, even though it was obvious it was needed.

After the jaunt back, we stopped at the Landmine Museum that was run by a former child soldier who now dismantles land mines all over Cambodia.  All the proceeds and donations to go landmind victims, and I reccomend stopping at this place if you are near by.  He now has various partners and contributors helping him.

We caught anothe sunset at a temple of which I do not remember the name..

Waterfall