Leaving for Cambodia

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Blog

Now, when I arrived in Saigon on January 23rd, my school had set me up with a hotel until I got my bearings and decided to search for a more permanent place.  My plan was to just stay there for a while and be lazy, but that luxury would not be afforded, as the hotel was due to close down within a weeks time.  At the time I purchased the bus ticket to Phnom Penh, I was staying in that same hotel, but with the understanding that I would no longer be there when it was time to depart for Cambodia.  So when I purchased the ticket, I gave no hotel address of where to pick me up, and simply told them that I would be back shortly with a hotel address.

A few days later when I stopped in, I had told of my new location and they just said, "ok".  Not writing anything down, no phone calls..

Needless to say, when I awoke on the 4th of February at 5:30 AM, I had my doubts that I would even be picked up for this trip.  To my pleasure, a van had swung by about a few minutes past 6 and started toward the bus departure point, which I had now learned was only about a block away.  For those of you who don't know....no one walks in HCM.