0109 Discovering a Moroccan Gem (Mor 020—new)

Larache Travel Blog

I have to make stops in Ksar El Kebir, Asilah, and Tanger to retake some pictures and clips that I lost on my way down, but I still want to squeeze in one more new town… and Larache, a little city on the coast seems like the perfect candidate.

I get off the bus in the crowded downtown area and head straight to the coast… where I find my best parkbenching spot to date! It's an open area where folks hang out in the afternoons with buildings in the front to help with the acoustics, and a fantastic view of ancient ruins and sea cliffs in the back.  Great people, great audience... a great final touch to my little Morocco subtour.

The I head down to what looks like th ruins of an old castle, and around the other side is a really fun Blue Medina with alleys tunnel and twist up the steep hillside.

It so much fun to explore that it doesn’t even bother me when I run into dead ends. When people try to point out the right way to me, I smile and say “Thanks, but I want to explore the dead ends too!”

From there I head into the bustling market area with its stair streets and shoulder to shoulder crowd.  I join a group of people clustered around a chick pea pie vendor which I’m told is a Larache specialty.

And the I get on a bus, on to Asilah where I stay the night, then on to Tanger and on a ferry up to Spain.  And say “see you later” to the country that seems absolutely perfect for my music/wandering project.  I really want to spend a lot more time here, travelling around with a guitar slung over my shoulder until I’ve strummed in every single town in the entire country.

And that just might happen.  If all goes well, I’m going to move back here to Morocco in a couple of months.  So it might be that my Morocco adventure is just beginning.

*For more Morocco adventures, go to Blog 2008B, Entry 0172

lubsy says:
I hope you enjoyed Larache, I know I do each year I go!
Posted on: Apr 05, 2008