0102 Mohammedia by accident (Mor 013—revisit)

Mohammedia Travel Blog

After Rabat and Sale, I head back down to Casablanca to take care of some work stuff--and then I head south towards Agadir.

Well, that’s the plan at least.  Somehow at the train station I get "Kenitra" and "El Jadida" switched around in my head and get on a train heading north instead!  I get off at the next city, Mohammedia, and figure I'll make the best of the situation.  What the heck, I’m going to have to visit this city someday anyhow.

Across from the train station is the best-maintained park I've ever seen in Morocco (well-maintained parks aren't Morocco's strong point).

A couple of fellows came by to listen to my tunes and soon we got into discussions about music, aspirations and global politics.  One of the fellows, Mourad, said I can leave my bags at his mom's place while we wandere around town.

The old medina was very tiny--but had some great fried fish and calamari.  Then we head through a fancy residential area where rich Casablanca folks come on weekends and then down to the coast--and then off to another immaculate garden area.  Mourad says that the garden was created and maintained under direct orders from the royal family.  He also gives me a lot of great info on the town over all--points out the house of the wealthiest—and stingiest man in town... who also paid for the main mosque to be built.

Overall, quite glad I ended up in Mohammedia.

NOW let's go south...