0095 The Carnival in Tiznit (Mor 006—revisit)

Tiznit Travel Blog

I got a couple of new fans

Next day I feel it'd be nice to take my brother-in-law, Youssef on a short road trip--so we head off Thursday afternoon to the grand taxi station... Turns out the Essaouira taxi doesn’t leave from there.

"How about Tafraute?" I suggest... so off to Tafraute we do...

It’s getting a bit late when we arrive in Tiznit--so we decide to wander around a bit and maybe stay the night there.

Good choice.

Just happened to be that the carnival is going on at that time (I forget what it’s called).  As music plays and a man chant in a sing song voice, folks in sheepskin and other costumes--a tree costume, a double-man camel costume, etc... then the guys in sheepskin break out into the crowd, chasing people and (playfully) whipping them--kind of like what goes on after Eid Kbir.

The Carnival in Tizit
..  I found it all quite fascinating--especially considering that this is the Berber Heartland--and Berbers are not folks that generally encourage a lot of goofiness...

Afterwards, we go outside the medina walls to find a quiet place to parkbench... find a nice spot and met some good folks there.

One thing I notice very quickly in Tiznit was that I don't win anybody's heart by speaking in Arabic--Arabic is definitely the language of outsiders here.  And you will not hear anything but Berber music coming out of the various shops in the market. It's actually quite a comforting feeling... because I know how peace-loving the Tashlhit culture is.

Tiznit is in my 2nd music video