Day Four, pt. 1

Pacific Grove Travel Blog

The drive to San Francisco was about two hours of fascinating Bay Area highway scenery (by which I mean concrete). We passed through my hometown, San Jose, and I got a little nostalgic. And then it passed.

I have a serious love-hate relationship with San Jose. I was born there, and I think the place you're born is always a somewhere you reserve a spot in your heart for. I lived there for sixteen years, and most of my early memories involve the six-block area immediately surrounding my house. At the same time, if you never live anywhere else then you're likely to be unaware of the inherent flaws of your hometown. After I moved away, it took about two years to fully realize what kind of place San Jose is. It's dirty and dangerous and the people I used to know weren't very smart in retrospect. I used to visit about once a week. Then it was once every month or two. Now it's maybe once a year. I always get excited to see the old places, but when you revisit them they just look small and dirty up close. They're nothing like the grand, eternal monuments you remember from your childhood. Maybe it's true that you can never really go home again.
jarichter says:
My home went down the proverbial tubes too, not it has made a comeback and it needs to continuing the good path back up!
Posted on: Aug 24, 2006