Oldest operating church

Duncan Travel Blog

Come on for a wee walk

I was invited to a wee art show in Duncan by a neighbour and dear friend who puts up some of her art work in this fine show.

I was excited to go.  I hadn't been to an art show since forever and just wanted to go and see things for the day.  I wanted to get out of the hum drum of the winter and rain.  It always is grey and gloomy at this time of year.  So an art show was going to brighten up my day.

I went with a friend and we first stopped off at Mary's place and picked her up.  Then we drove to the show.  I didn't take any pictures inside the show as I wasn't sure if I was allowed.  But it was a day without rain.  The show was great..We seen a few friends there, sat and chatted had some coffee and a few treats..saw lots of great paintings.

Welcome!!!

On the way out of the show...I spotted an old church and graveyard.  It was nice outside at this time...a little gray..then some sun came out, so we walked around this wee church so I could get some photos.  It was a lovely little church.  I couldn't go inside as they lock it all up.  (to much vandalism)..they only open it up for services.  but I got some photos, learned the history and had a great day taking photos.

HISTORY OF THE CHURCH

It's called The Anglican Parish of St. Peter, Quamichan.

St. Peter Quamichan has the distinction of being the oldest parish still operating on it's original site in the Cowichan Valley. Standing on a rocky knoll - this site was chosen by bishop George Hills in 1866 - and it still fits the description of the park-like glades of oaks then standing in 98 acres of glebe land.

Right this way

January 1866 Rev. W.S. Reece beccame the first resident clergyman for an area from Mill Bay to chemainus, including Salt spring Island.  Construction of the church began late 1866, with the first service was March 10, 1867.  Ten years later this small church (45 seats), was demolished and the present Englsih Style church rose to completion February 1876, able to seat 100.  June 14th 1877 St. Peter's Quamichan was consecrated in front of 200 persons, on gala day with Bishop Hill and passengers from Victoria arriving on a chartered steamer.

This is the church worshipped in today, plus in 1893 west end addition and a 1930's addition to the vestry.  The church now seats 150 worshippers.

There is a unique 10 ton granite rock, moved from Maple Bay road by parishioners in 1919.  It stands outside the door as a memorial to many parishioners who were lost in two World Wars.

It also has a cemetery.  It slopes from the church to a meadow where graves date as far back as 1866.  This peaceful little church brings people from all faiths in the community to come see and worship.

The parish family is made up of people from all walks...all faiths who wish to enter.  They say it is their desire to create an atmosphere that helps members or visitors grow in spirit.

They have Eucharist.  It is the liturgy is taken from the book of Alternative Services.

Thee have Celtic Celebration Worship Services.  This emphasizing Celtic Spirituality.

They also have Intergenerational Services..this focuses on family.

Interesting place...I loved it there.

After our walk...we went back to Mary's and had a beautiful lunch.

Then off to home ...I was happy...full...and well happy....

Come for the walk..it's marvelous.

Thank you!!!

dieforu says:
ur welcome Bev!Was my pleasure:-)U too have an fabolous day!!
Posted on: Apr 05, 2011
hummingbird50 says:
Thanks Mehmet for all you smiles and for coming in this fine walk:):)
Have a great day!!!!
Guardian
Guardian
Love this door!!!
Love this door!!!
I honor for all who fought!!
I honor for all who fought!!
Let the sun shine in
Let the sun shine in
Oh look color
Oh look color
Thanks for the walk...see you agai…
Thanks for the walk...see you aga…
Duncan