The Mile High City

Keystone Travel Blog

I was surprised flying into Denver at how flat the area was, a large plateau rather than mountains. Denver airport was slightly odd, with a lady in a cowboy vest and hat greeting visitors, and bars of country music played in the airport train in lieu of beeping for the opening and closing of doors. For my shuttle to Keystone I sat next to a chatty guy from Georgia who invented a machine to weave coloured Astroturf in logos for the Superbowl, and his friend an alternative medicines salesman who thought that multiple sclerosis was due to bad diet.

We climbed up into the mountains. Oddly the low altitudes look far less lush than the high altitudes, where the dead grass and bushes are covered by snow, leaving only the pines and aspens sticking out.
I settled into the Inn at Keystone, then set out to explore the snow. The staff at the Inn told me that the walking trails were covered waist deep in snow, but I could catch a bus to the adventure centre and hire snowshoes. I did so, but they only hired skates, and directed me to the Nordic Centre. The Nordic Centre was closing for the day, but told me helpfully that the walking trails around the Inn were ploughed so I could do them in my boots.

The trail was beautiful, the lake frozen over and the river reduced to a trickle with snow banks several metres deep. The houses look like they are covered in icing, and there are ice sculptures outside the shops. With the sun setting the snow becomes a deep blue and the sky a faint pink. I am now in a warm bar. If Lydia was here she would approve of the open fire, and would be torn over the drinks menu - should she order the Snuggler (peppermint schnapps and hot chocolate) or Flannel PJs (butterscotch schnapps, chocolate liqueur and coffee)?

Sunflower300 says:
Geez, how do you choose between those two drinks? Just stop it Adrian, you are making my mouth water. :)
Posted on: Feb 10, 2008
vances says:
lol - a classic example of 'y not'.....
Posted on: Feb 08, 2008